New Student Onboarding Process
New Student Onboarding
New Student Onboarding is a series of essential tasks you will complete to help W&L prepare for your arrival. The complete list of tasks are listed below as well as the date the task will become available for you to access in Workday.
To view the complete Workday New Student Onboarding Process, please see the New Student Onboarding screenshot document.
Workday is the primary software system for W&L. The onboarding process in Workday is sequential and does not permit you to move past uncompleted tasks or re-visit prior tasks. Complete a task or arrange a clear path to do so before you click the submit button to move on to the next item. You will need to submit all the visible tasks before the next batch of tasks appears. Some tasks will not appear in Workday until later in the summer as indicated on the complete list of tasks.
Tasks requiring you to "review documents" will open in a new browser window. You will also be asked to "complete questionnaires" directly related to your student experience. Please provide complete, honest, and precise answers throughout the process for W&L to fully understand your preferences. "To do" tasks will re-direct you to other websites.
The tasks will be listed in the left-hand menu of Workday in the order they should be considered. You are encouraged to use the left-hand menu to select the next task instead of the blue button that will pop up when you complete a task. Clicking the orange refresh button will update the left-hand menu.
Please do not enter comments in Workday (unfortunately the comment box cannot be deleted), and instead reach out to the FYE team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-458-8037 with questions or feedback.
Keep your eye out for new inbox items. The Workday inbox will only be used for items requiring your action.
Thank you in advance, and welcome!
Please make sure you add anyone to whom you may want to grant third party permissions (ex. parents, guardians, emergency contacts). For additional instructions go to go.wlu.edu/friendsandfamily.
Further information regarding FERPA, including details, policy, and examples, can be found at https://go.wlu.edu/ferpa.
If you wish for a "FERPA block" on directory information to remain in effect after your last term of enrollment at W&L, a separate written request must be made to the University Registrar prior to the end of that term. Such a block will remain in place until removed in writing.
- I want my directory information to be public (recommended)
- I do not want my directory information to be public
If students elect to be included in the Public Student Directory, their Name, Photo, Institution, and Social Media links are always public by default.
Document Link: Technology Policies and Resources
Instructions Please review the document link above carefully before checking I Agree.
Signature Statement I understand the technology resources available to me as a member of the W&L community and what I must do to protect my data and others.
- Document Link: Phish Quiz
- Instructions: Complete the Phish Quiz to confirm your understanding of how to avoid common technology hoaxes that put the W&L community at risk. Please make sure you have successfully completed the Phish Quiz before checking I Agree.
- Signature Statement: I have completed the Phish Quiz and understand the dangers presented by technology hoaxes.
- Document Link: Disability Accommodations
- Instructions: Please review the undergraduate disability accommodations information on the linked website carefully before checking I Agree.
- Signature Statement: I'm aware that disability accommodations are available to ensure equal access and how to pursue accommodations should I require them.
Please respond to the statements and questions to assist us in assigning you an initial liberal arts faculty adviser with whom you are likely to have common interests and with whom you will be able to plan your courses of study. We realize that at this time you may not be sure of your immediate academic plans, but nevertheless we ask that you provide us with as much information as possible. Nothing you state here is binding. You are free to change your mind at any time.
(To view the full list of questions, please see the complete New Student Onboarding document.)
Leading Edge takes place the week before regular First-Year student orientation (OWeek) begins. The trips are small and inviting, a testament to the atmosphere of W&L. Several trips are campus-based, though most involve day trips or are entirely off-campus. All FYs are strongly encouraged to participate in Leading Edge which is highly reviewed and has no additional cost. We anticipate more than 75% of FYs will participate this year. Please learn more about the trips at the Leading Edge website before completing the questionnaire.
(To view the full list of questions, please see the complete New Student Onboarding document.)
Instructions All students living on-campus must complete the housing agreement. Please do so now using the following instructions:
- Login to eRezLife.
- Under "Recommended Actions" click "NEW STUDENTS - Fall 2022" (Do NOT click the returning student agreement).
- Thoroughly review the housing agreement.
- Electronically sign and date
- Provide emergency contact information
- You may click save to save your progress and return to your application later; however, you must click SUBMIT for the application to be accepted as complete.
If you have questions about eRezLife and/or the housing agreement please email email@example.com.
Instructions: Provide us information about needs for special housing. Return this form to the Student Health Center only if you are requesting special housing due to a health condition. All first year housing is air conditioned. Our availability to accommodate other special housing requests is limited. If you believe you have such a need you are required to have your healthcare provider complete this form and submit it to the Student Health Center for review by May 31. Please note that this is not a request for disability accommodations.
This list of questions is a part of the housing match process and must be completed by all students who apply for first-year housing, even if the student is requesting a single room. This information WILL BE USED to assign your residence hall room and/or roommate; be yourself!
NOTE: You may not choose your residence hall preference. This application will take approximately 20 minutes, so do not start the application until you know you have sufficient time to complete it. These questions are used to assign you to the best housing option available for you and your needs, so please be as clear as possible!
Rooms are assigned in the order applications are received and students admitted through Early Decision are given preference. Room and roommate assignments will be emailed to your W&L account in July.
(To view the full list of questions, please see the complete New Student Onboarding document.)
Health insurance is required for all students, and a University-sponsored student health insurance plan is available to all full-time students. All students must either waive or enroll in this plan each year. Go to Student Health Insurance for more information, instructions, and a link to the web site to complete this process.
Please complete this by June 30. If you do not complete the on-line waiver form, you will be enrolled in the Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan with coverage that begins August 1, and your University account will be billed for the cost of the premium.
- Document Link: Student Health and Immunization Information
- You are responsible for providing Washington and Lee University information about your health to protect yourself and the campus community. Washington and Lee will protect the information you provide in accordance with their policy for the privacy of student health information.
- These documents must be completed and submitted to the W&L Student Health Center by mail or fax no later than July 31. Instructions for submission are included on each form. A visit to your healthcare provider is required to complete these forms, so plan accordingly. Print these forms and take them with you to your appointment, with Medical History and Tuberculosis Screening forms completed. Bring a copy of your complete Immunization Record with you for your provider to review during your visit. Please note that W&L requires all students to be up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, including primary vaccination and booster doses. Several other immunizations that are important for personal and public health are also required. Student-athletes must submit a physical exam performed within 6 months of campus arrival; all other students must submit a physical exam performed within the past 12 months.
- All of the required health forms are available at go.wlu.edu/healthforms.
- Required for all:
- Report of Medical History and Physical Exam
- Immunization Record
- Tuberculosis Screening
- Health Insurance Information Form
- Required for some:
- Student-Athlete Pre-Participation Evaluation Form (for NCAA athletes)
- Medical Consent for Treatment of Student Under Age 18 (for students under age 18 on campus arrival date)
- You will be prompted to acknowledge that you have submitted these documents directly to the Student Health Center in future steps of your onboarding process. Please make plans to schedule a physical exam with your healthcare provider and collect all required information now to meet the July 31 submission deadline.
- Signature Statement: I have thoroughly reviewed all student health and immunization requirements. I will submit all required documentation directly to the Student Health Center no later than July 31.
Instructions: Parents and families are a vital part of the W&L Community. Please complete the Family Information Form to confirm additional details with us about your family and other W&L relationships.
Instructions: Please make sure your high school has sent your final transcript directly to the Office of Admissions.
Instructions: The community discussion of the first-year reading selection is a key part of your introduction to academic life at W&L. During the summer, you will read a book selected by the University that will serve as a common intellectual experience for you and your classmates. During Orientation Week, you will have the opportunity to examine the work in a seminar setting with a faculty or staff volunteer leading the discussion. Please review the details at go.wlu.edu/communityread.
- Document Link: Advising and Registration Prep
- W&L utilizes summer registration to help ensure everyone receives a good schedule. Please realize it is impossible for everyone to receive all their top choices while maintaining small class sizes, thus a good schedule includes a couple classes you need or want plus a couple that help you explore the liberal arts curriculum.
- Please learn more about the summer registration process at go.wlu.edu/summerregistration then review the advising and registration prep materials at the document link on this screen.
- Signature Statement: I have reviewed the summer registration process, as well as the advising and registration preparation documents, and I will follow their guidance while taking further action.
Instructions: Completing Placement Testing as soon as possible will help you best complete the summer registration form and ensure you are placed in the best possible schedule for fall term.
Please arrange for the delivery of official score reports to the University Registrar's Office for any AP (Advanced Placement) or IB (International Baccalaureate) exams or any other standardized test, such as the Abitur, A-level, or O-level, which you have completed prior to enrolling at Washington and Lee.
Completing this as soon as possible will help you best complete the summer registration form and ensure in the best possible schedule for fall term. Additional information may be found at go.wlu.edu/apib.
Please arrange for official transcripts to be sent to the University Registrar's Office for any college-level work completed prior to enrolling at Washington and Lee.
Completing this as soon as possible will help you best complete the summer registration form and ensure you are placed in the best possible schedule for fall term.
- A link allowing you to complete the Summer Registration Form will be emailed to you in July.
- You should view the form now so you know what to expect, but please make sure you do the following before completing the form:
- carefully review the advising and registration prep materials
- complete placement testing if applicable
- submit AP/IB reports if applicable
- submit FY student credit transfer requests if applicable
- discuss the form with your summer registration adviser
- clearly understand what you are choosing and why
A reminder of the summer registration process and dates can be found at go.wlu.edu/summerregistration.
All members of our campus community are required to have a university card, the official identification card for Washington and Lee University. Your university card provides access to essential campus services and facilities including door access, meal plan access, University Store purchases, and more. Your university card requires a photo to be included as part of your identification. Our online photo submission process allows you to quickly and easily submit a photo of your choice. Failure to provide an acceptable photo for use on your university card may delay your access to essential campus services and facilities including your residence hall and meal plan.
Upload a photo of yourself consistent with specifications for a U.S. passport.
I'm aware of public safety resources at W&L including parking permits, the LiveSafe app, emergency management, and transportation. I understand that all members of the University community must register motor vehicles and display a valid/current parking permit on their vehicle to park on campus. I have reviewed information about the LiveSafe App and know that I must download the app and sign up to use. I have reviewed information about W&L's emergency management and response procedures, and viewed the "Run, Hide, Fight" video found on the public safety website.
Form 1098-T is a statement that colleges and universities are required to issue to certain students. It provides the total dollar amount paid by the student for what is referred to as qualified tuition and related expenses (i.e. "QTRE") in a single tax year. IRS regulations state that each student who wishes to receive their 1098-T electronically must also provide consent electronically. Please read the terms and conditions regarding your consent below. Then, if you wish to take advantage of this paperless option, check the box to give your consent and submit the form. If you would prefer to receive a paper copy of the form mailed to your home address, simply submit this form without checking the box for consent. If you have further questions please contact the Business Office at (540) 458-8730 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and Conditions: By submitting the information below, you are giving your consent to receive your 1098-T statement electronically. By signing up for an electronic version, no paper 1098-T statement will be mailed to you. When your statement is ready, an email will be sent to you with instructions on how to access your 1098-T statement through Workday. In order to protect your privacy, the email will contain no information specific to you or your financial information.
Federal Regulations require Washington and Lee University to apply Title IV funds (Pell, SEOG, Federal Direct Student Loans) to qualifying charges only, such as; tuition, student fees, room, and board. Any Title IV funds remaining after these charges have been paid are "excess Title IV funds". The purpose of this form is to allow students to authorize W&L to apply the excess Title IV funds, if applicable, to pay other non-qualifying charges such as; bookstore charges, parking and library fines, non-institutional expenses and other various fees. Without authorization these are not charges for which certain federal financial aid funds can be automatically applied.
The completion of this form is entirely voluntary. Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions: Federal Student Aid Authorizations document for further details before submitting this form. To provide your authorization, please check the box next to "I Authorize" on the form below and then click submit. If you would prefer not to provide this authorization, simply submit this form without checking the box for consent. If you have further questions please contact the Business Office at (540) 458-8730 or email@example.com.
Federal Student Aid Authorizations
Institution Washington and Lee University
Expires After Lifetime
Signature Statement: I authorize this institution to use my Federal Student Aid to pay for non-institutional charges.
Consult with your healthcare provider to complete the required Report of Medical History/Physical Exam and submit directly to the Student Health Center with all required Student Health Forms by July 31.
Consult with your healthcare provider to complete the required Immunization Record and submit directly to the Student Health Center with all required Student Health Forms by July 31.
Consult with your healthcare provider to complete the required Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire and submit directly to the Student Health Center with all required Student Health Forms by July 31.
Consult with your healthcare provider to complete the required Health Insurance Information Form, attach copies of all insurance cards (front and back) and submit directly to the Student Health Center with all required Student Health Forms by July 31.
If you intend to play an intercollegiate sport at Washington and Lee, complete the Student Athlete Pre-Participation Evaluation at Student Health Forms and submit directly to the Student Health Center with all required Student Health Forms by July 31.
If you will arrive on the W&L campus prior to your 18th birthday, please have your parent(s) or legal guardian review, complete and submit the Medical Consent Form for Treatment of Student Under Age 18 directly to the Student Health Center with all required Student Health Forms by July 31.
Our First-Year residence hall rooms are equipped with extra-long twin beds that require specially sized linens. It can be difficult to find sheets that fit, so we've partnered with RHL to provide linens custom designed to fit our mattresses and maximize student's comfort. Ideally, you would order now, ship to your home, and bring the items with you to move-in. If you need to ship the items directly to campus, please order in early August for mail room convenience. A portion of the proceeds from this program supports Residence Adviser (RA) programming.
Consider use of the residence hall linen service.
The Baldridge Reading and Study Skills class has consistently shown improvement in average reading rate and average comprehension. We recommend this program to help students adjust to the academic rigors of the college curriculum.
Consider participation in the Baldridge Reading & Study Skills program.
- Document Link: Honor System at W&L
- Signature Statement: I am aware of my responsibilities to adhere to the standards of the Honor System at Washington and Lee University. I pledge to conduct myself with honor, integrity, and civility.
- Document Link: Binge Thinking
- Instructions: Binge Thinking is an online fast-paced interactive program which uses games and a conversational format to encourage reflection and challenges you to make positive decisions around alcohol use. Please complete Binge Thinking at go.wlu.edu/onlinepreventionprograms.
- Signature Statement: I have completed Binge Thinking.
- Document Link: U Got This!
- Instructions: U Got This! is an online prevention program on sexual assault that empowers students to make healthy decisions, intervene in difficult situations, and learn about resources available to victims on campus. Please complete U Got This at go.wlu.edu/onlinepreventionprograms.
- Signature Statement: I have completed U Got This!
- Instructions: Our primary interest is your holistic development. Your learning outcomes should include:
- A sense of belonging at Washington and Lee.
- An understanding of the connection between Washington and Lee's educational mission and your own personal mission.
- Strategies for managing time and priorities.
- Knowledge of and a willingness to use academic and co-curricular resources and opportunities.
- The ability to articulate your own personal and professional goals, as well as define potential pathways toward achieving those goals.
We focus on a growth mindset with respect to wellness and inclusion. In addition to the information on the FYE website and shared during OWeek, we have two continuing education sessions during fall term. You can learn more about what to expect at go.wlu.edu/continuingeducation.
This is the FINAL step in your onboarding process through Workday, our student information system. Be attentive to additional communications from us prior to the start of class. We look forward to welcoming you on campus soon!