Parking and Vehicle Registration
Parking & Vehicle Registration
Washington and Lee University provides extensive parking options, attempting to best accommodate the needs of the University community. Parking on the W&L campus is a privilege and is available on a first come, first served basis, in accordance with the rules and regulations as outlined below.
All members of the University community must register motor vehicles and display a valid/current parking permit on their vehicle to park on campus. Vehicles are restricted from parking in all fire lanes and visitor parking areas. Fifteen-minute parking spaces may NOT be utilized for overnight parking or parking longer than the allotted time. Registered vehicles will be issued permits as follows:
|Permit||Description||Specific Parking Locations or Residence Halls|
|F/S||Faculty/Staff member permit||Any University parking lot with the exception of the Nelson Street (Chi Psi) parking lot and any otherwise restricted spaces|
|C||Commuter permit issued to students who reside in off-campus housing||Parking Garage|
|DP||Davidson Park permit issued to residents of the Davidson Park houses||Davidson Park lot, Estill St. lot, Spotswood Drive lot, Varner Lane lot|
|FY||First Year student permit||Liberty Hall lot and West Denny lot|
|L||Law Student permit||Piney Woods Upper and Lower lots.|
|RA||Resident Adviser/Community Assistant student permit||Any student parking lot|
|RS||Red Square permit issued to residents of the Red Square houses||Corral lot, Jackson Ave. lot, Jefferson St. lot, Nelson St. lot, Red Square Lot|
|S||Sorority permit issued to residents of Sorority Housing||Sorority lot or Parking Garage|
|UD||Upper Division permit issued to residents of the Upper Division Housing area||Augusta Square lot, Liberty Hall lot, West Denny lot|
|WC||Woods Creek permit issued to residents of Woods Creek Apartments||Woods Creek lot, Parking Garage|
For a map of parking locations around campus, please click HERE.
Vehicle Permit Policies
- All students, faculty and staff must register motor vehicles (including motorcycles and mopeds) and display a valid/current parking permit on their vehicle to park on campus.
- Vehicle registration must be completed using the online parking management system.
- Students may only have one permit issued to one vehicle at a time.
- Faculty and staff may register up to two vehicles and must display their hangtag permit on any registered vehicle they park on campus.
- If a motor vehicle is replaced or if the vehicle's registration information changes, students and employees are required to make those changes to their accounts in the online parking management system.
- Vehicle registration permit fees (if applicable) must be paid prior to receipt of the permit. Permit fees are assessed as follows:
F/S Permit - No Fee
RA Permit - No Fee
All Others - $65 per academic year
- Lost/Stolen permits must be reported immediately to Washington and Lee University Public Safety.
- Permit holders who need to park an alternative vehicle on campus, due to maintenance/repair or other similar situation, can obtain a temporary parking permit at the Department of Public Safety office.
- Permits must be displayed clearly, unobstructed, and unaltered as follows:
F/S Permit - F/S hangtag permits must be hung from the rearview mirror so that the image faces out and is clearly visible and unobstructed.
All Others - All student permits are sticker-type permits and must be applied to the lower left-hand corner of the rear window.