The University Card

Submit Your University Card Photo (New Students Only)

All members of our campus community are required to have a university card, the official identification card for Washington and Lee University. Your university card provides access to essential campus services and facilities including door access, meal plan access, University Store purchases, etc.
Your university card requires a photo to be included as part of your identification. Our online photo submission process allows you to quickly and easily submit a photo of your choice, as well as a photo of an approved government-issued ID to verify your identity online and from the comfort of your own home.

To get started, please submit a photo by clicking on Upload a photo of yourself below. Next, you will enter your W&L email address and click Request Access. You should receive an email from Washington and Lee University Student Affairs Office. Once you open the email, click Login, and you will follow the step-by-step process. Once your photo is submitted, the Student Affairs Card Office will review your photo and email you with approval or next steps if your photo cannot be used. We will begin the review of photos in early July.

Upload a photo of yourself

Photo Requirements

We will need a recent color photo with a plain, neutral background (white, off-white, cream, beige, light gray).

Your photo should display your head, including both face and hair, from the crown of the head to the tip of the chin, and from hairline side-to-side, similar to a driver's license or passport.

Senior/high school graduation photos are not acceptable.

Head coverings are acceptable due to religious beliefs, provided the head covering shows a full front view of the face, does not cast a shadow onto the face, shows an overall pattern in the fabric or material (not a graphic design). Adequate documentation for the person wearing a traditional facemask or veil is required.

Prescription glasses may be worn for the photo; however, there should be no reflections from the eyeglasses that obscure the eyes. Dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless they are needed for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.

The key requirement for your university card is that the photo clearly identifies the cardholder.

Tips for submitting an acceptable photo:


  • Current color photo in focus, without any added effects
  • Neutral color and smooth background
  • Centered and front view of full face
  • Cropped from just above the top of the head to the collarbone
  • Proper lighting
  • Eyes open and visible, looking at the camera
  • Wear prescription glasses if you normally do so
  • Photo in [jpg format size between 300KB to 2MB]


  • Wear hats, sunglasses or other items that obscure the face
  • Glare on glasses; closed eyes
  • Eyes looking down or to either side.
  • Shadows on the face
  • Other visible people, pets or objects in the photo
  • Inappropriate expressions
  • Group Photos
  • Blurry Photos
  • Black and White photos
  • Photos with your hand resting on your face
  • Crop off the top of your head or side angle your face
  • Photos taken more than six months ago
  • Use social media filters

Note: Taking a photo with most smartphones/devices works well

If your photo is not received in time, you will need to visit the card office on campus once you arrive. This may delay your access to essential campus services and facilities, including your building access and meal plan.
Incoming Law students will receive their university cards at orientation, and incoming Undergraduate students will receive their university cards during move-in.

There are many different student uses for your University Card in a variety of locations. Among those uses:

Building Access

Most of our buildings on campus have controlled exterior door access, including residence halls and academic buildings. Washington and Lee issued University Cards must be "swiped" in the door reader to unlock the exterior door. Building permissions are managed by Public Safety.

Meal Plan Access

Use your card to access your meal plans through Dining Services. Every undergraduate first-year student is required to have the Full Board meal plan. Dining Services personnel will be happy to answer questions about using your meal plan at the Marketplace, Cafe 77, E. Cafe, Fieldside, The Tea House or the Law School Brief Stop. For meal plan questions, email

If you have a meal plan, you can also buy Food Flex Dollars, which are tax-exempt debits that can be used in the above locations. All dollars in this account must be used by the end of the academic year and cannot be refunded or transferred. Deposits must be put on the card in $25 increments. Meal Plan Flex Dollars that are part of a meal plan must be used by the end of each semester. Meal Plan Flex Dollars will NOT carry over from Fall to Winter/Spring.

Food items purchased in the Cafe Emporium, E. Cafe, Fieldside, The Tea House, and Law School Brief Stop can be paid for with Food Flex Dollars. Students with a meal plan have Meal Plan Flex Dollars included in the plan.  Only students having a meal plan can purchase food flex dollars.

Make Purchases at the University Bookstore

Buy your textbooks or many other items from the University Store. Use your University Card to charge items (restrictions apply) or access your General Debit funds to make purchases.

General Debit

Money can be placed in this account on your card to be used for microfilm, vending machines and the University Store (purchases under the $10 charging minimum).

microfilm: 10¢

General Debits are transferrable, refundable and carry over from one academic year to the next.

Check Out Books and Other Materials From W&L Libraries

You can use your University Card to check out materials at both the Leyburn Library and Law Library.

Pay for Tickets or Merchandise at Campus Events

Many organizations on campus use portable card readers to allow you to pay for a special one-time event that is taking place on campus. Carry your University Card everywhere you go. You never know when you may want to use it!

Putting money into General Debit and Food Flex Accounts

Students and Guests can make deposits to their University Card by visiting the W&L eCard web site using a credit card. VISA, MasterCard and Discover accepted. Other features of the site include checking your balance, viewing recent transactions and you can suspend your card.

Deposits can also be added to your University Card and charged to your University account at the following locations: Marketplace, Law School Brief Stop, or the Business Office. The student should specify the account, Food Flex or General Debit, when making a deposit. Minimum deposit is $25. More funds can be deposited on the card as the balance runs low. Each time you use your University Card for a purchase, the register will display your remaining balance.

E-bill email notifications are sent on 15th of each month. Payment is due by the 10th of the following month. Outstanding balances are subject to a late fee.

Parents/Guardians who wish to limit or deny charging may do so by writing to the Business Office at

If You Lose Your Card

If you lose your card, contact the Card Office located in Student Affairs (Elrod Commons 356), ext. 8754. The record of your card will be changed in the system to prevent usage of charging, food flex, general debits, and access to doors. To gain access to your account again, you must have your card replaced. Student Affairs handles replacement of lost cards and will charge a $20 fee. Defective or damaged cards (due to normal wear and tear) will be replaced at no charge, if returned to the Student Affairs Office.

If You Lose Your Card - Night/Weekends

If you lose your card over the weekend or after Student Affairs office hours you can get a replacement card from the Public Safety office.  Public Safety will only reissue lost cards and the $20 replacement fee will be charged to your student account.  

Business Office Hours

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Wednesday 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Student Affairs Card Office Hours:

  • Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.