Studying Abroad? FAQ for Economics Majors

1. When should I study abroad?
Students typically study abroad during the sophomore or junior year.
2. What do I need to know about transferring credits for Economics Major?
Keep in mind that only up to 9 credits for Economics can be transferred from studying abroad. Students take electives (200-level courses with a pre-requisite of Econ 100) while abroad. This means a maximum of 3 200-level Economics courses can be transferred.

Only electives can be transferred. The core courses - Statistics for Economics (ECON 202), Econometrics (ECON 203), Microeconomic Theory (ECON 210), and Macroeconomic Theory (ECON 211) cannot be transferred.
3. How does the process work?
First, you will contact the Center for International Education (CIE) to identify a program you are interested in. Ms. Cindy Irby is the contact person at the CIE. Once a program is identified and once you have been accepted to the program, you can begin your course selection. The selected courses need to be uploaded online for departmental approval.

The online form is available at You need to provide a sample syllabus for each course you are interested in. You will be notified of the department's decision promptly. The entire process is online.
4. What required courses will transfer?
Only electives (200-level courses) will transfer. Core courses (Statistics, Econometrics, Microeconomic Theory, and Macroeconomic Theory) will not transfer.
5. How long will the approval process take?
Decisions are made within a week. If key information is missing, you will be asked to provide additional material. If not, you will be promptly notified whether the course is approved for credit transfer or not.
6. What should I be looking for in a potential course?
Don't be fooled by the course title only. You should look to see what the course content is, that is, whether the course has readings from economics. You also should look for a pre-requisite of ECON 100. Likewise, you need to check whether it is a 3-credit course. This is typically inferred by looking at contact hours. We also look to see what the course objectives and deliverables are, pre-requisites, instructor leading the course, the course readings, etc.

When submitting a course for departmental approval, you should make sure to include this course-related information.
7. Which courses do you recommend?
Any courses that are electives at the 200-level here. This means the course should have Introduction to Economics (ECON 100) as a pre-requisite. A course that is open to all students is not a 200-level course. Likewise, if a course requires Microeconomic Theory, Macroeconomic Theory, or Econometrics, it is a 300-level course. You should not take those courses abroad.
8. I want to study abroad for a year. What should I know about a full year abroad?
You should work closely with your advisor to plan early. All the rules are similar whether you go abroad for the entire year or for one semester only. If going for a full year, you need to make sure you take sufficient credits to maintain your full-time student status.

You also need to make sure you are on track to completing the economics major. A few things to consider are:
  • Senior Year: need to take 2 300-level courses, at least one needs to be 330+. This means:
  • Junior Year: need to finish core requirements. The ordering of courses does not matter. It is generally recommended that you take Econometrics (203) as early as possible.
  • Sophomore Year: need to take at least ECON 100 and ECON 202 (ECON 202 is pre-requisite for ECON 203, Econometrics).
  1. SCENARIO 1: You want to go abroad for a full year during your sophomore year:
    • Sophomore Year: Take electives (3) while abroad. Take ECON 100 during your first year.
    • Junior Year: Fall: Take ECON 202 and at least 1 core class (210 or 211). Winter: Take ECON 203 and other core course(s).
  2. SCENARIO 2: You want to go abroad for a full year during your junior year.
    • Sophomore Year: Fall: take ECON 202. Winter: take ECON 203 and if possible 1 other core class (210 or 211).
    • Junior Year: Take electives (3) while abroad.
    • Senior Year: Fall: take 1 remaining core class (210 or 211), one 300- level class. Winter: take another 330+ class.
Note: if you plan on going abroad for a full year, you need to plan ahead. Special complications can arise if you want to go abroad during your junior year.
9. How do I begin the approval process for transfer credits?
Start the approval process using the online form. If you have additional questions, please contact your faculty advisor or the registrar’s office.
10. I still have questions. Could I meet with someone to talk about my plans?
For general questions about where you should go or what program might be best for you, contact Ms. Cindy Irby at the CIE.

For questions about specific ECON courses, contact your faculty advisor.