Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I start a student organization on campus?
A: The "Start a Club" page on the Student Activities website will get you started. This is where you can find information about how to register your organization with the Student Activities office, get funding from the Executive Committee, and register your group for the Campus Activities Fair at the beginning of the academic year. For more information, please contact

Q: Does the Student Activities office provide funding for student organizations and their events?

A: Absolutely! The Student Activities office regularly partners with student organizations to sponsor events on campus. Contact to request funding. Click here for more information.

Q: How do I reserve meeting space in Elrod Commons?
A: Visit the online reservation system to reserve a room in Elrod Commons. If you have questions about the reservation process, check the ITS webpage on 25Live at  If you still have questions, feel free to contact the main Student Affairs office at 458-8754 or

Q: How do I reserve a table in Elrod Commons?

A: Contact the main Student Affairs office at 458-8754 or to reserve space inside the Commons Atrium or Living Room spaces. Registered student organizations may also table outdoors when the weather is conducive by contacting the main Student Affairs office at At this time, only student organizations recognized by the office of Student Activities are allowed to table in Elrod Commons. Please contact the main Student Affairs office at to request special permission to table outside of these parameters. 

Q: How do I find out more information about a club or organization on campus that I'm interested in joining?
A: Be sure to check out the Activities Fair during the few first weeks of the fall semester, where you can meet representatives from every student organization on campus. Didn't make it to the fair? Email the main Student Affairs office at about groups so that we can assist you in getting connected. You can also browse the list of clubs on our website; feel free to reach out to the contact listed to find out when you can attend the next meeting or event. The website's dashboard also contains links to social media accounts pertaining to campus life and extracurricular engagement.

Q: How do I find out about trips, speakers and other experiences offered through the Outing Club?
A: Sign up for membership on the Outing Club website and instantly get on the email list for all the great activities planned through this office. You can also check out the Outing Club's Facebook page or contact James Dick at to find out about upcoming trips that might interest you. The Student Activities office also offers a variety of weekend and break trips. Keep an eye out for sign-ups via email, campus notices and social media (Following @wlustudentactivities on Instagram is a great start!)

Q: How do I reserve a swipe machine?

A: The Business Office has an online request form here that will put you in the queue to reserve a swipe machine. Please note that there are a limited number of swipe machines and that they are reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis. Swipe machines have to be picked up and returned to the Business Office each day that they are reserved.

Q: How do I reserve space for an event at the Village Pavilion, Cannan Green, Liberty Hall Ruins, the Dell, or other outdoor spaces on campus?
A: Most outdoor spaces can be reserved through 25Live.  As you are planning your event, please be sure to review the University's Facilities Use Policy and allow time for requests for space to be processed. Please contact the main Student Affairs office at or at 458-8754 with any questions about outdoor spaces available on campus. 

Be sure to submit the Event Registration Form to the Student Affairs administrative office to register the event when needed.  The requirements for submitting an Event Registration Form can be found in the University's Facilities Use Policy.  Please contact the main Student Affairs office at or at 458-8754 with any questions about these spaces.

Q: Can I hang a banner or flyer in Elrod Commons?
A: Banners are not permitted to be hung in Elrod Commons. All posters should be approved in advance by the Dean of Student Life.  All posters and flyers hung in Elrod Commons must advertise an upcoming event or deadline.  Flyers may not be posted on any doors or windows and may only be posted on designated bulletin boards.  The Dean of Student Life and the Division of Student Affairs reserves the right to remove flyers deemed inappropriate, not associated with recognized student organizations, or which advertise events for which the date has expired. Academic buildings, Leyburn Library and other spaces on campus reserve the right to restrict banners and posters to their own designated areas as determined by department.

Q: I would like to host a band/speaker/performer on campus. How do I start the process?

A: Student organizations are allowed to pay performance and speaking fees from their accounts, but contracts must be approved and signed by the Vice President for Student Affairs on behalf of the University. The Student Activities office works closely with General Counsel to review and prepare contracts for execution; more information about the process is available on General Counsel's website. Take note of the guidelines pertaining to political speakers on campus and reach out to the Dean of Student Life and/or the Office of General Counsel for clarification on those guidelines prior to inviting speakers to campus. Please contact the main Student Affairs office at before beginning paperwork related to payment of an artist or speaker.

The Student Activities office is here to answer questions and assist in planning events on campus in compliance with University policies and guidelines, so please reach out with questions or concerns.