Q. Who may participate in one of the pre-orientation trips?
A. The Leading Edge programs are open only to new students (incoming First-Year, transfer and exchange students). Fall athletes and students trying out for fall sports may not register for a pre-orientation trip.
Q. How do I apply?
A. Instructions for the applications and registrations, as well as deadlines are available on the Student GHQ.
Q. How are applicants selected for each trip?
A. Selection is first-come/first-served based on the order registrations are received. Note: Some trips fill up within the first hour of registration which begins at 11 a.m. EDT on the opening date in the Student GHQ so be prepared to register as early as possible. Every effort will be made to accommodate all applicants' preferences.
Q. I am an athlete and hope to participate in a fall sport--can I do both?
A. Fall sport athletes may not participate in The Leading Edge programs due to conflicts with pre-season practices.
Q. What kind of limitations might prevent me from enjoying one of the trips?
A. All new incoming students are encouraged to apply. Some programs have experience and fitness requirements, which will be stated on the application. Please register for programs with these factors in mind.
Q. How much does it cost to participate?
A. The Leading Edge Pre-Orientation program trips are heavily subsidized by the sponsoring departments. The remaining cost to each student is $200.
Q. My student wants to go on a Leading Edge trip, but we can't come to campus twice for move-in. What do you recommend?
A. It is not necessary for a student's family to come to campus more than once for move-in. The schedule is exactly the same on both move-in days.
Still have a question?
- If your questions pertain to registration issues, including changes or cancellations, please contact The Leading Edge Student Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For specific questions about Volunteer Venture trips, please contact Jenny Davidson, Coordinator of Student Service Learning, at email@example.com.
- Appalachian Adventure trip questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Kim Hodge, Director of Sustainability Initiatives and Education, with questions regarding the Sustainability trip.
- Contact Donald Gaylord, Research Archaeologist and Instructor, with questions reading the Archaeology trip.