Estudio Sampere in Madrid Information for Students
Study Intensive Spanish (equivalent to SPAN 161 and 162) abroad for 4 or 8 weeks with Estudio Sampere in Madrid.
Eight weeks in Madrid (June-July): Live in a homestay, take four hours of Spanish-language classes daily for six hours of W&L credit and fulfill the FL FDR, join guided visits to cultural sites, and immerse yourself in daily life in the dynamic Spanish city of Madrid.
Intensive Spanish Courses with expert instruction in reading, writing, listening and speaking. Students receive 20 hours of language instruction per week along with cultural readings and discussion (4 hours of class per day, Monday through Friday, in the morning or in the afternoon). Through guided practice in the four language skills, students will improve grammar usage, increase vocabulary and fine-tune pronunciation. Class activities center on communication and thus enable students to improve their fluency and become more confident in their use of Spanish.
W&L students are encouraged to take both courses in sequence for a total of 8 weeks, since subsequent enrollment in SPAN 162 on campus is not guaranteed. Two 4-week sessions of Intensive Spanish are equivalent to Spanish 161 and 162 at Washington and Lee, are similar in their language instruction and confer the same number of credits (3 per course). Completion of both courses leads to credit for SPAN 161 and SPAN 162 and fulfills the FDR in foreign languages at W&L.
Program Dates for 2020
- June 1st to June 26, 2020 (4 weeks)
- June 29th to July 24, 2020 (4 weeks)
- June 1st to July 24, 2020 (8 weeks)
- For enrollment in SPAN 161: Departmental placement into 161 or completion of SPAN 112.
- For enrollment in SPAN 162: Completion of SPAN 161.
Aula, nueva edición (2013). Barcelona: Difusión. The textbook(s) is (are) included in the program fee and will be given to the student on the first day of classes.
- Saturday, May 30th or Sunday, May 31st, 2020: Arrival in Madrid. Pick-up at the airport and transportation to homestay accommodation.
- Monday, 1st, June 2020: Classes start. Welcome reception.
- Friday, June 12th, 2020: First exam.
- Thursday, June 25th, 2020: Final exam.
- Friday, June 26th, 2020: Last days of classes (4-week program only).
- Saturday, June 27th, 2020 End of program and housing for the 4-week program.
- Monday, June 29th, 2020 Classes start for 162-4 week program only. Classes resume for 8-week program.
- Friday, July 10th, 2020 First exam.
- Thursday, July 23rd, 2020: Final exam.
- Friday, July 24th, 2020: Last Day of classes.
- Saturday, July 25th, 2020: End of program and housing.
Prices are subject to change due to currency fluctuations EUR vs. USD.
Four Week Sessions: Spanish classes (tuition only) + Homestay, cultural and service package.
TOTAL: USD 3,000.00
Eight Week Session: Spanish classes (tuition only) + Homestay, cultural and service package.
TOTAL: USD 5,000.00
- 20 hours of Spanish instruction and 5 cultural lessons per week.
- Textbooks and class materials.
- Accommodation with families (single room and full board), beginning the weekend before the course start date.
- 2 day-trips to sites of cultural interest per 4-week session.
- 3 day-trips to sites of cultural interest per two 4-week sessions.
- Participation in other school activities such as Welcome Reception, occasional celebrations, special events, group gatherings, etc.
- Individual pick-up at Madrid airport and transportation to homestay accommodation.
- Full coverage student health insurance for the duration of the program (via Guard Me insurance).
Additional Expenses Not Included in Program Fee
- Airfare (approx. $1200)
- Personal expenses
- Non-program transportation expenses (metro and/or bus tickets within Madrid): approx. $400/month.
Total: $1600 (4 weeks) or $2000 (8 weeks).
Application for Credit for SPAN 161 & 162
Students apply for credit transfer via the Credit Transfer for Summer International Coursework form available at the Office of the Registrar.
Application via Sampere
After confirming placement into Spanish 161 with the Romance Languages Department, students may enroll online through the Sampere website by May 4th, 2020.
On the enrollment form, students need to choose the following:
- Course: Intensive Spanish Course (This is the four-week option for both SPAN 161 and SPAN 162, as detailed in the course syllabi below)
- Course location: Madrid
- Your approximate current level: Choose Intermediate 1 (B1), although a placement test will be administered upon your arrival at Sampere to determine your language skill level. Credit for SPAN 161 or 162 is not based on your placement by Sampere, but by the completion of two 4-week sessions of Intensive Spanish as outlined above.