Arts, Design, Fashion, and Entertainment
Explore careers in the arts by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by CPD or make an appointment on Handshake with a career adviser and begin networking to learn more.
Some arts careers require a creative resume tailored to the job you are interested in. This helps you create a great first impression. Check out our resume samples in the Professional Documents folder of Career Resources.
The Office of Career and Professional Development at Washington and Lee University has not vetted any of the internship and volunteer opportunity listings on this page and makes no representations or guarantees regarding any of the listed opportunities. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to do their own due diligence when applying for and accepting any of these opportunities.
- American Institute of Architects - professional association with career resources and job board
- Archinect - lists job opportunities
- Architecture Careers - resources for opportunities
- Best Websites for Finding Architecture Jobs
- Design Search Associates
- Internships.com for Architecture
- American Alliance of Museums - Extensive list of all types of museum positions
- Art Jobs - Positions in museums, theaters, nonprofits, arts agencies, camps, etc.
- Art Search - job opportunities in arts, culture, education, museum, libraries and theatre
- ARTS Intern – “Studio Institute's ARTS Intern Program places undergraduates from diverse cultural backgrounds in paid summer internships at museums and cultural institutions [in Boston, Cleveland, NYC, and Philadelphia].”
- Arts Management - lists articles, books, and related training and post-graduation courses
- Association of Art Museum Curators - Art museum internships and fellowships
- California Arts Council – Sort jobs and internships by administrative, creative or other
- Careers in Art - The Art Career Project - candidates can "explore a list of distinct career paths within various categories of art to find the information they need to get started on the right foot. Designers, performers, fine artists, and musicians alike can search for options that help them unlock their creativity."
- Creative Time - Internships for students interested in public art
- Hire Culture - Mass Cultural Council's searchable database of cultural employment opportunities - internships and full-time jobs throughout Massachusetts
- Metropolitan Museum of Art - internships, jobs and fellowships - Search late fall for positions for the following summer; for full-time postings, visit HERE
- MoMA Summer and 12-Month Internships - internships, jobs and fellowships - Summer deadline for sophomores or older, February; academic year fellowship applications open late spring
- Museum Employment Resource Center - Museum and cultural resource jobs
- National Endowment for the Arts
- National Museum of Women in the Arts - Summer deadline is March 15
- New England Museum Association - Full-time and summer intern positions (deadlines rolling)
- New York Foundation for the Arts - Jobs in the arts; NOT limited to NY - THE GO TO RESOURCE!
- Smithsonian Associates - Internship postings - deadline for summer is February 1
- Smithsonian Internships
- Smithsonian Institute resource for Museum Studies jobs - Provides links to related resources
- State Cultural and Arts Council websites
- State Department - discover which offices want Art History and Art Studies students
- The United States Supreme Court - internships in the Office of the Curator
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts - summer internship deadline is in February; Post-graduation fellowship deadline is open June - Nov preceding graduation
- Washington Project for the Arts
- American Institute for Graphic Arts
- Blizzard Entertainment - video game company
- Create & Cultivate
- CPD Resources for Gaming, Animation, TV and Film - incudes blogs and skills development resources
- Academic Keys - Positions with colleges and universities
- American College Dance Association - Jobs and internships related to dance
- American Dance Festival
- Association for Performing Arts and Entertainment Professionals - Job and internship postings
- Association of Talent Agents
- Atlantic Theater Company (NYC) - Jobs, Fellowships and volunteer postings
- Backstage - Audition resources
- Berkeley Repertory Theatre - "[O]ffers an 11.5 month fellowship program for serious-minded, highly motivated individuals who are ready to embark upon a professional theatre career."
- Berkeley Repertory Theatre - Career Resources for job, internship, fellowship, and apprenticeship opportunities
- Blizzard Entertainment - Video game company
- California Arts Council
- Cox Media Group - Internships and mostly job postings
- Creative Artists Agency - Postings jor juniors/seniors to work with agents at leading entertainment agency
- Dance Net
- Dance NYC
- Dance Place - Lists Washington, DC dance activities, education, performance and job opportunities
- Dance USA! - Jobs and auditions
- Disney's Marvel
- Dream Careers - Provides students with placement in talent agency internships
- Entertainment Careers - Weekly newsletter with jobs and industry resources
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Jacob's Pillow - Dance festival
- Job Listings and Internships for Entertainment Careers - Job postings
- Kennedy Center
- LucasFilm - Jobs and internship posting
- Mandy - Comprehensive guide to film production companies and with job postings
- Media Bistro - Internships and job opportunities in media and communication
- Music America - Jobs and internships worldwide and career resources
- Music Match - USA Music Industry Magazine with job postings with industry job descriptions
- NFL - Film internship with NFL involving footage, audio, cinematography, and more
- Offstage Jobs - Jobs and internships in electrics, sets, props, costume, sound and management
- Pacifica Community Television - Internship in television and video production, accepts applications each semester - around January/February (Spring), May/June (Summer), and August/September (Fall)
- Paradigm Talent Agency - Agency guiding artists to careers in media, film, books, art, and music
- Playbill - Top stories and resources
- Showbiz Jobs.com
- Sony Corporation of America
- Television Academy Foundation - Television production internship program (8 weeks in Los Angeles)
- The Gersh Agency - Offers internship in the entertainment industry
- The Second City - Internships and jobs with "leading comedy theatre and school of improvisation" in Chicago
- Theater in Chicago
- Theater Job Board
- TV Jobs - Database for jobs with television production companies
- TVWatercooler - Database of production companies with vacancies
- United Talent Agency - Offers student internship in literary/entertainment industry along with film agent training
- Warner Bros.
- William Morris Endeavor - American talent agency in California; search under "Careers"
As with most industries, in fashion there is no single source for all internship opportunities. In addition to reviewing the links below, review company websites and/or LinkedIn pages.
- Fashion Career Tips - advice
- Fashion Jobs Central - requires subscription
- Free Fashion Internships
- Style Careers
- WeConnectFashion - industry advice
- Chicago History Museum
- Museum Jobs - Job postings
- National Council on Public History
- Preservation Directory - Positions in historic preservation, building restoration, museum employment, architecture, urban planning and other related fields
- Society of American Archivists
- The United States Supreme Court - Internships in Office of the Curator in Collections Management/Archives
- Arts League - Arts League plans to work with students to promote the arts at W&L and celebrate the many artists on campus. Arts League believes in promoting a more creative atmosphere on campus by promoting one another's work in all of the arts. We will promote our artists to the rest of campus as well as the Lexington Community! We plan to promote the pre-existing arts events on campus as well to create exciting events for the entire campus.
- Dance Company - The dance company aims to give all students interested in dance the opportunity to study dance, create dance and perform dance both on campus and off.
- WLUR - W&L radio station
- World Languages Portal - The World Languages and Cultures portal provides information on course offerings, resources, and programs for students interested in building skills to prepare for a global and diverse society.