STEM SRS Application Process
In the interest of equal access for all students, a contingent of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) faculty invite students interested in working with them to submit an early request form online before December 1st.
Students interested in STEM area research list their top 3 preferred mentors, chosen from a list of STEM faculty and their summer research project descriptions. Once the deadline is closed, faculty mentors will match as many students with faculty as possible. These matching results will be completed before the start of the winter term.
All faculty mentors may support up to three students for their summer research projects.
In addition to the regular SRS program, the University will fund up to five students for a 2-year STEM Fellows Program. This program is only open to first- and second-year students with an expressed interest in STEM (you do not need to be a declared major). Benefits for 2-Year Fellows include:
- a research preparation course (INTR 200 or approved equivalent) during their first Spring Term as a Fellow
- two intensive summer research periods with a chosen faculty mentor
- continuation of summer research during two academic years with their summer research mentor
- supplemental research supply funding (up to $1,000 per faculty member) for the lab to help support the costs of the Fellow's academic year research
- opportunities for leadership development and peer mentoring.