Frequently Asked Questions W&L Spring Term Abroad

How do I get credit?

Students participating in Washington and Lee University's Spring Term Abroad courses apply and register for a program directly at W&L. Students receive credit for these courses as they would any other W&L course.

When do I need to apply?

Programs are listed on the Spring Term Abroad website in the fall. The Spring Term General Information session is October 7th, 2021 at 7pm via Zoom. Applications open on October 9th, 2021. Submit your application and financial aid paperwork by October 22nd, 2021 at 5pm. After you are accepted into the program by the program director, you must confirm your participation by electronically signing the Agreement of Responsible Travel in your application in the portal and by making the $250 non-refundable deposit by the December 2nd, 2021 deadline.

You can apply through the Spring Term Abroad website:

How much does it cost?

While students do not pay a separate tuition to W&L for Spring Term Abroad, separate fees are required to cover the travel, accommodations, facilities and other educational costs. W&L does everything to keep these costs as low as possible, however they can be substantial and are borne by the participants. The cost will differ for each program. Prices will be posted on the website.

Does my current financial aid package apply to my spring term abroad program?

Need-based financial aid is available for spring term abroad programs.  This aid is completely separate from the financial aid you may be receiving for the fall and winter terms.  Students with demonstrated financial need will receive grant assistance.  To be considered, you must have a complete W&L need-based aid application on file for 2021-22.  Loan assistance is almost always available and requires the submission of the 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions regarding your application and eligibility.

Since I am not on campus for Spring Term, will I receive any money back for expenses already paid to W&L?

When a student participates in a Spring Term Abroad program, the student can request a refund on their meal plan for the weeks they are not on campus. There is no credit given on tuition, fees, or room charges. Students must request this refund from the Business Office.

What is the withdrawal policy?

The $250 deposit is due on December 2nd, 2021 and is refunded only if the University cancels the program. Prior to January 15th, 2022 you may withdraw from a course and forfeit only your deposit. Full payments are due January 15th, 2022. After that date, recoverable and uncommitted costs will be refunded only in documented cases of serious illness or grave emergency. If the University cancels the program, the program fee will be refunded. Under no circumstances will flight costs be reimbursed.

Do I need to buy additional health insurance?

All participants will be provided supplemental global health insurance through the university and will have access to services provided by International SOS. 

What if I don't have a passport?

Get one! You must have a valid passport for your country of citizenship. It takes up to a couple of months to obtain a passport, so start as soon as possible. Your passport should be valid for not less than 6 months from the date of your expected return from overseas. Whether you are renewing a U.S. passport or applying for one for the first time, you should start by clicking on this U.S. Department of State link:

Do I need a visa?

Each country has it its own entry requirements. You must check to see what the requirements are for your nationality. Allow a couple of months to obtain a visa. If you do not have the appropriate entry visa, you will not be allowed to participate in the program. Failure to obtain proper travel documents will not be grounds for refunds.

Am I responsible for adhering to W&L policies while overseas?

Yes. You must comply with the University's academic policies and standards for student conduct. Should you violate any of these, you will be subject to any relevant disciplinary action.

What if I am a citizen of a country other than the United States?

You must make sure to have the appropriate paperwork required for citizens of your country. This includes a valid visa for entry into the country to which you are traveling. Be aware of the time you will need to obtain this visa. Have your I-20 signed before you leave on the program. You should consider the immigration and visa implications/risks of travel on any particular Spring Term Abroad program and make sure there are no impediments to traveling out of the United States at that time.