University Housing Dates
Important Dates for Students Living in University Housing
The term "University Housing" refers to ALL University-owned housing facilities including Gaines, Graham-Lees, Woods Creek Apartments, the Village, theme and fraternity/sorority houses. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Undergraduate Fall Term 2020
Friday, November 13, 2020
Last day of fall term classes. Housing closes for all students on 11/22/2020. Review and finalize travel plans.
Saturday, November 14, 2020
Fall term exams begin.
Friday, November 20, 2020
Fall term exams end.
Sunday, November 22, 2020
University housing closes at 5:00pm. Exceptions may be made for extenuating circumstances only. Please email Chris Reid, Director of Residence Life, email@example.com.
- Students returning winter term: Students who are returning to campus winter term may leave items behind (take essentials home). Please carefully follow housing closing instructions.
- Students not returning: Students who are not returning to campus during winter term (regardless of spring term plans) must completely vacate housing, clean, remove all items, and return key to Public Safety by 5:00 p.m. on 11/22 to avoid fees. Items left behind will be considered abandoned property and are subject to donation or disposal.
Undergraduate Winter/Spring Term 2021
We are excited to announce winter term arrival and testing dates. Move-in will be a phased process over several days prior to the start of classes. Student arrival dates are pre-scheduled, which will require that you plan travel arrangements accordingly. Move-in will take place in conjunction with required community COVID-19 testing.
Please thoroughly review the following and take note of the scheduled arrival/testing dates that apply specifically to you:
- First-year students currently at St. Andrews and international students returning to W&L directly from international travel are required to quarantine for 14 days on campus as directed by the CDC. Please plan to return to campus by January 3, 2021 to satisfy this requirement. Your COVID testing is scheduled for Monday, January 11 at Evans Hall.
- First-year students participating in sorority formal recruitment (PNMs), rho gammas, sorority recruitment/executive officers, peer counselors, AND residence life staff plan to arrive to campus on Tuesday, January 12. Your COVID testing is scheduled for Wednesday, January 13 at Evans Hall.
- All other upper-division sorority students participating in formal recruitment plan to arrive on Wednesday, January 13. Your COVID testing is scheduled for Thursday, January 14.
- All other first-year, Woods Creek, and Village students plan to arrive on Friday, January 15. Your testing is scheduled for Saturday, January 16.
- All other fraternity, sorority, and theme house students plan to arrive on Saturday, January 16. Your testing is scheduled for Sunday, January 17.
Note: It is extremely important to maintain the integrity of the assigned arrival and testing dates due to University testing capacity. More information about your individual testing time on the aforementioned dates will be provided later. We will continue to email updates throughout winter break to provide you needed information as soon as possible.
Additional notes for your consideration:
- Everyone is expected to quarantine themselves at home for 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival on campus. Once the 14-day quarantine period is complete, and if you have no COVID-19 symptoms and no known exposure to COVID-19, you may travel to campus. While in transit, you are expected to maintain physical distancing, wear face coverings, practice frequent handwashing, and follow all applicable Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines.
- Students must self-quarantine in their campus residence on their arrival date and greatly restrict their contact with others until tested and subsequent results received (typically the next morning). Please do not visit other campus facilities, including University housing, until this is complete.
- Students can have up to two guests to help with move-in and all guests will need to follow physical distancing and face covering requirements. We encourage frequent handwashing or the use of an alcohol-based hand rub (at least 60% alcohol) while on-campus.
- Students arriving on campus for the first time this academic year will receive personal protective equipment (PPE) when they arrive. Information about University provided PPE and how you may order additional supplies through the University Store will be forthcoming soon (via a separate WLU.edu email).
- We strongly encourage students purchase and bring personal protective equipment, common household cleaners/disinfectants, alcohol-based hand rubs or wipes (at least 60% alcohol), and shower caddies/totes. While cleaning protocols will be ramped up around campus, we ask that students frequently disinfect commonly touched surfaces within their rooms, including inside and outside room door handles, as well as in common spaces prior to and following each use (such as a desk or table). This is a collaboration between students and staff to frequently disinfect areas!
This process was carefully developed to allow everyone to return to campus in the safest possible manner and we appreciate your continued patience and flexibility.
We will email you directly via W&L email if new information becomes available or if plans change. It is important that you continue to monitor your email as well as the W&L COVID-19 resources website.
We are excited about welcoming students back to campus for winter term. Many great activities and events are already in the works for the term and we look forward to sharing them with you in the new year! We are proud of you for taking care of each other during the fall term. The individual and collective resolve exhibited by students, faculty, staff has been most impressive.
Updated: October 30, 2020