International Visitor FAQ (handled through HR)
Is designated office space available for international visitors?
Yes, limited office space is available in the Ruscio Center for Global Learning (CGL) for visiting international scholars. Please contact the Center for International Education Coordinator (within CGL), Erin Weyen, to make a reservation.
What housing options are available for international visitors?
It is important to discuss housing options for international visitors with the appropriate Dean's Office before making housing arrangements, as there are limited university housing options available. For short-term visitors, a room in one of the guest houses may be appropriate. For longer-term visitors who are also visiting faculty, faculty housing may be available. It is extremely important to contact the guest house coordinator or the faculty housing manager as soon as possible after determining housing needs in collaboration with the Dean's Office as space is limited. If university housing is not an option, the visitor may use a local property management company. The Center for International Education has created a housing guide for international visitors to assist with this process.
What transportation options are available for international visitors?
For airport pick-ups and drop-offs, departments can coordinate with Public Safety to arrange a university driver. The Center for International Education has created a transportation guide for international visitors to inform visitors of local transportation options for getting around town, visiting nearby cities, and getting to and from Dulles Airport.
How do I set up an email account for an international visitor?
If a W&L email address was requested on the International Visitor Form, Human Resources will create an account using Contract Contingent Worker Business Process in Workday. The visitor will receive an email to their personal email address to claim their W&L credentials as part of their initial Workday onboarding process.
How do I set up internet access for international visitors?
The visitor will obtain W&L network credentials once Human Resources has completed the Contract Contingent Worker Business Process in Workday.
How do I set up BizHub (printing and scanning) access for international visitors?
There are three steps to complete in order for a visitor to gain print access at W&L:
1. If a BizHub access was requested on the International Visitor Form, Human Resources will create an account using Contract Contingent Worker Business Process in Workday. The visitor will receive an email to their personal email address to claim their W&L credentials as part of their initial Workday onboarding process. With their credentials, they will be able to access the Papercut print service.
2. Determine whether the visitor will charge print costs to a departmental budget or will pay on their own via General Debit (optional - requires University Card). Send an email to email@example.com letting them know the W&L username of the visiting scholar and how their print costs will be charged (include departmental fund # if applicable.)
3. Instruct the visiting scholar in how to print to a bizhub via web-upload and email (consult this ITS FAQ for a refresher). For direct printing via personal computers, please consult your department's ITS support liaison for driver installation.
How do I help an international visitor receive a W&L ID card?
The visitor will complete tasks in Workday as part of their onboarding process. Upon completing their HR tasks in Workday, the visitor should contact Mariel Potter in Student Affairs in order to request a University ID card.
How do I arrange key card access to university buildings for international visitors?
Public Safety controls the key card access to university buildings. Email Laura Campbell to request access.
How do I help an international visitor get library access?
International visitors can visit the helpdesk in the Leyburn Library to obtain library access. While a University ID card is not necessary to access library services, having one is strongly encouraged for the following benefits:
• Easier access to databases and e-books (don't have to stand at guest kiosk)
• Longer loan periods for items
• More straightforward access to intra-library loan service
How does an international visitor receive a Social Security Number (SSN)?
International visitors who are being paid must obtain an SSN. The international visitor must apply in person at a Social Security Administration office (the closest office is in Staunton), and bring the original copies of the following documents:
3. Form I-94: the visitor can obtain this by clicking on "get most recent I-94"
4. Form DS-2019 "Certificate of Eligibility" (for J-1 visa holders)
5. Completed SSN Application Form
6. W&L contract or invitation letter
How does an international visitor obtain a Virginia Driver's License?
International visitors possessing a valid home country driver's license or an international driver's license, may legally drive in Virginia for up to two months after establishing Virginia residency. The CIE has created a how-to guide for international visitors who wish to obtain a Virginia Driver's License.