Finance and Banking
Explore careers in finance and banking by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment via Handshake with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
The Office of Career and Professional Development at Washington and Lee University has not vetted any of the internship and volunteer opportunity listings on this page and makes no representations or guarantees regarding any of the listed opportunities. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to do their own due diligence when applying for and accepting any of these opportunities.
*Please note that finance job listings are often found through Handshake or by searching individual companies' websites. The resources listed below provide tips to grab those opportunities.
- Commercial Banking
- Corporate Banking 101
- Equity Research - Wall Street Mojo guide
- Finance Walk - Any and all information regarding the hedge fund industry
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Mergers and Inquisitions - Help break into the finance industry and how to thrive once you're in
- The Trade - The TRADE delivers insight to trading professionals at the world's largest asset managers and investment banks, and boasts an audience that includes buy-side dealers, high frequency traders, fund managers, sell-side brokers, FinTech innovators and regulators.
- Wall Street Prep - Information on industry, interview preparation, salary and career paths
- What is Corporate Finance? - Breakdown of industry
- CNN Money
- Corporate Finance
- Market Watch
- Morning Brew - Daily email with updates of market trends, mergers and acquisitions & more
- Wall Street Journal
- WealthManagement.com - Resource for independent editorial expertise and proven financial services
Resources for Purchase:
- Beating the Street - Strategies for investing and offers advice on how to pick stocks and mutual funds to assemble a successful porfolio
- Careers in Finance - Harvard Business School's Guide
- Goldman Sachs Sales and Trading Internships
- Hedge Fund Book - A Training Manual for Professionals and Capital-Raising Executives
- How to Get a Job on Wall Street - Written by our very own Professor Scott Hoover, this book contains sample questions and acts as a personal coach for landing an internship.
- Interest Rates, Swaps and Other Derivatives
- Investment Banks, Hedge Funds, and Private Equity
- Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders
- Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital
- The Best Book on Getting an IBanking Internship - Written by a former analyst at UBS, JP Morgan & FT Partners, this book covers the interview preparation and how to handle the 90 hour work weeks.
- The Fast Track - The Insider's Guide to Winning Jobs in Managment Consulting, Investment Banking, & Securities Trading
- Wall Street Prep Interviewing Pack - Tips on technology, fit, and networking as well as financial modeling training
- Working the Street - Written by a former Managing Director at Merrill Lynch, this book is a great resource for how to build a successful career in finance.
- Real Estate Society - The Real Estate Society is a co-curricular group in which students manage a real estate fund. Students work in teams to research commercial and residential real estate projects, preparing and publishing market reports and coming back to the group with recommendations about which projects to fund.
- Student Consulting - Washington and Lee Student Consulting (WLSC) is a student organization created to provide pro bono consulting services to businesses and not-for-profit community organizations. Our clients have included local, national, and international non-profit and for-profit businesses.
- Venture Club - The Venture Club was established in 2010 to help students from across campus learn about start-ups in a hands-on environment. During the term, students meet on a weekly basis to listen to guest speakers, plan and promote events such as the Entrepreneurship Summit, and work on consulting projects for start-ups.
- Williams Investment Society (WIS) - The Williams Investment Society is a student organization that manages a portion of Washington and Lee University's endowment in equity securities. The Society's purpose is to provide students with a forum to develop their interest in investments and financial analysis by giving them the opportunity to actively manage real capital.