Frequently Asked Questions

When do I use a Work Order?

For routine maintenance, non-emergency requests, and Event Set-Up, a work order must be initiated. Customers may do this by using our on-line Work Order system.

How do I get an estimate for a small project such as building bookshelves or installing an outlet?

University Facilities can provide an estimate on the cost of small projects. For an estimate, initiate a work order request, and indicate "for estimate only".

Customers should provide the following information:

  • Specific detail of the repair or concern.
  • Exact location, including building name and room number.
  • Contact person's name, address, telephone and e-mail.
  • A budget number if applicable.

What do I do if I smell gas or see a leak?

For general information, general questions or to report emergencies during regular business hours, call 540-458-8490.

For emergencies during weekends and non-business hours, please call Public Safety at 540-458-8400.

How do I request a key?

Requests for keys are made by submitting a Key Request form. The form requires a valid budget number and authorized signature.

The Locksmith Shop is routinely responsible for lock repairs, changes and installations; file cabinets and desk lock repairs; locked or broken file cabinets; and battery-operated door alarms. The Locksmith Shop keeps records of building and room keys, as well as keys issued to faculty and staff.

Keys for students are administered through the Office of Residential Life: 540-458-8405.

Can I just call or e-mail a University Facilities staff member I know and get them to take care of the problem?

We strongly recommend submitting all work orders through our work order system. This way, your request will be properly dispatched, tracked and closed out when complete. You will also receive email notifications when the request is made and to verify completion.