What should I do if I have a serious illness or injury and need to see a doctor right away?
Call 911 if it is an emergency situation. Carilion Rockbridge Community Hospital has a physician on duty in the Emergency Department 24/7 for urgent health care needs. The nurse in the Student Health Center may be able to advise you as to whether you need emergency care, or may be able to assist you until you can be seen by a doctor.


How do I get an appointment with the Physician/Physician Assistant?
Call the Student Health Center at 540-458-8401, stop by to schedule with the administrative assistants, or see the nurse.

When can I see the nurse?
The nurse on duty at the Student Health Center is available 24/7 when undergraduate classes are in session, 9 AM-5 PM when only law classes are in session. The nurse takes a break from 12-1 PM and 6-7 PM each day, but is available on the premises for urgent health needs.

Where is the Student Health Center? When is it open?
The Student Health Center is located at 200 Generals Lane. The Center is down the steps behind and between Leyburn Library and the Science Addition building. Visitors can also take the elevators in the Library down to floor 4 and exit the back door. Limited parking is available.

The upper level of the Student Health Center is open Monday-Friday from 8 AM-5 PM. The upper-level entrance is on the Library side. The lower level of the Student Health Center is open Monday-Friday from 5 PM-8 AM and 24 hours a day on weekends. The lower level entrance is on the Science Addition side, where patient unloading occurs.

The Student Health Center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week while undergraduate and law classes are in session.  The Student Health Center is closed for clinical services during Thanksgiving and Winter breaks and during the summer.  A University Physician/Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner and a Counselor are available on call to the nurse on duty when the Student Health Center is open.

Can I spend the night if I feel too sick to stay in my room?
Yes; the Infirmary is used to care for students who are ill enough to need care in a monitored setting, but who are not so ill as to need hospital care.

Do you notify my parents, my professors, or the administration if I am seen at the Student Health Center? What if it's because I drank too much and got sick or injured?
No, not without your permission. Information in your health record is confidential, and won't be released without your permission. It is your responsibility to contact professors about missed classes, etc. Alcohol/drug related visits to the Student Health Center or hospital are not reported to the administration other than numerically in monthly reports. You should always seek needed medical attention for yourself or a friend if someone has had too much to drink. A rare exception when parents or the administration might be notified is in emergency/ life-threatening situations when you cannot give permission due to the severity of your illness/injury. Information may be shared with the University Counseling staff or other health care professionals providing care to assist them in treating you.


Do I have to pay to use the Health Center? Can I swipe it home?
The student health fee assures access to Student Health and Counseling (SH&C) for all full-time students, and also serves to pre-pay the co-payment and/or deductible that insurance plans typically require at the time of a visit.  Students are asked to bring their insurance cards each time they come to SH&C for a visit.  SH&C will accept the payment made by the health insurance companies as payment in full.  Other covered services such as certain procedures, preventive services, and immunization may be billed to insurance as well.

There are charges for some services such as certain immunizations, allergy shot supplies, contraceptives and other prescription medications, tests sent to outside labs (unless available for insurance billing), linen service, etc. These charges may be billed to a student's account, or paid at the Student Health Center by cash or check.  If a parent is paying the bill on this account it is up to the student to make them aware of the nature of these charges--the Student Health Center will not release that information without student permission. A receipt will be provided for all such payments that may be submitted by the student to the health insurance or flexible spending account plans for consideration

Can I get my allergy shots at the Student Health Center?
The Student Health Center will administer allergy shots on the instructions of outside physicians. Students should bring or send their allergy serum and instruction sheets to the Student Health Center. At the time of the first visit the nurse will review the procedures we follow when giving allergy shots. To learn more about allergic disease and get some tips to control allergies and asthma in college, visit the website of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.

Does the Health Center give flu shots?
Yes, the flu shot is available each year from approximately October through January. You can get the flu shot at the Student Health Center or at one of the clinics we offer on campus. The flu shot is recommended for anyone who wants to reduce the risk that they will miss school because of the flu, especially those with any chronic illnesses such as asthma, diabetes, etc.

Does the Student Health Center dispense birth control supplies, emergency contraception, etc.?
Yes, the Student Health Center carries condoms, several varieties of birth control pills, the Depo-Provera shot, and emergency contraception is available whenever the Student Health Center is open. The cost for these supplies can be charged to your University account or paid at the time of your visit.

Can I see a counselor at W&L to help with personal problems?
University Counseling provides counseling and psychotherapy services to Washington and Lee students. Take the National Depression, Alcohol or Eating Disorders Screening Self-Assessment online. Ulifeline is a Web site with great info on mental health issues, suicide prevention, drugs, and includes lots of resources and links.

How can I find out more about your services?
Check out Services Offered.


How can I find out more about health issues such as eating disorders, fitness and exercise, alcohol and drugs, healthy eating, sexual health, etc.?
Check out the Health Library.


My doctor at home wants me to have lab work/x-rays--what should I do?
Come see us. The Physician/Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner at the Student Health Center can order needed tests through a local hospital/lab and send the results to your doctor at home. Charges for outside lab services can be billed to insurance or charged to your University account.


I am traveling/studying abroad--can the Student Health Center help me with my travel health needs?
The Student Health Center is prepared to assist you with health forms, travel immunizations and other preparations, as well as follow up for any health problems after travel. Click here for more information from the CDC Travel Health Web site pertinent to the area that you plan to visit.