Washington and Lee stands on a foundation of strong teacher-scholars. Each year, we welcome new faculty members to our community, nurture continuing colleagues, and celebrate the accomplishments of brilliant, dedicated teacher-scholars. Since faculty growth and development constitute the bedrock of W&L's success, we are dedicated to providing robust support for faculty across the arc of their careers. Our three-pronged approach includes:
- New non-tenure track and tenure track faculty are invited to participate in a teacher-scholar cohort for new faculty members. The cohort is led by the undergraduate associate deans as well as the associate dean for academic affairs in the law school when new law faculty join our community.
- Underrepresented new non-tenure track and tenure track faculty members will be welcomed to the W&L Professionals of Color Network. The Professionals of Color Network is organized and supported by Human Resources.
- New tenure track faculty will be assigned an extradepartmental mentor. The new faculty member's respective dean will appoint the mentor who will receive training and budgeted resources to support their mentoring for the new colleague's first year.
- 2022-23 Faculty Mentor List
- Guiding Thoughts for Mentor Meetings
- Fostering Faculty Mentorship On Your Campus
- Observation Best Practices
- That New Hire Needs Your Help
- Want to Help Professors Become Better Teachers? Find Them a Mentor