Safe Travel Guidelines for EmployeesPrint
What do I need to do to prepare for travel abroad?
- Please be aware that customs may confiscate anything you bring
- Change your password
- Update your wi-fi (eduroam) connection by forgetting/adding back to all devices with your full email as your username
- Update email with your new password on appropriate devices
- Back up any personal data to a safe location or cloud storage option. Make sure to store all University and research data in Box to ensure it is safe.
- Update your device and programs, including anti-virus and anti-malware, and myVI or VPN (test your updated connections)
- If allowed by country you are traveling to encrypt your device
- Faculty and Staff should Register on the "Travel Registry" page. If you do NOT register your foreign travel (business or personal), your account might get blocked
- Consult with ITS if you have any questions or concerns
- If you rely on multi-factor authentication (MFA) to secure your personal and work-related accounts, be sure that you know how it will work in the countries you plan on visiting. For example, if your MFA relies on SMS text messages, be sure you are able to receive text messages wherever you are. If your preferred option is not available, consider using an alternative method like app on WiFi or a physical token to make sure you can log in to your accounts.
What do I need to know while traveling?
- Use loaner laptops whenever possible - send request to email@example.com with dates and countries of travel
- Keep devices(s) with you if possible
- Use passwords to lock and unlock your device (preferably not biometrics: fingerprint, facial, retinal)
- Keep track of login credentials used so you can change them upon returning to the states
- Avoid visiting any website the requires login credentials unless needed while traveling
- Use different PIN numbers than you use at home on items such as a hotel safe, etc.
- Use myVI or VPN to access W&L resources and approved cloud services like Box
- Use private browsing to prevent credentials from being cached or clear your browsing history after each use
- Do not plug in untrusted accessories (flash drives, charging cables, memory cards) as these may install malware and steal data
- Turn off devices when not in use
- Assume Wi-Fi is insecure, utilize eduroam when possible and VPN
- Do not join networks automatically; turn off Wireless, Bluetooth, and GPS when not being used
- Do not use public devices to log into any University resources or use public charging stations
- Report device theft promptly to the US Embassy or Consulate and to ITS if a University device
- If you suspect your credentials have been compromised, contact ITS immediately so we can lock your W&L account
- Please review this government site on International Travel, and be aware of your destination country's laws and cultural customs
What do I need to do when I return from travel abroad?
- Avoid immediately connecting to personal or work networks prior to running full anti-virus and anti-malware scans
- Change all credentials used during your travels at the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn library
- Forget and add back the eduroam network
- If you have traveled to any country in Asia we strongly suggest you go to the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn library
How can I find additional help or support?
For more information, please contact the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn Library at (540) 458-4537 (HELP) or firstname.lastname@example.org PRIOR to leaving campus