University-Funded International Travel for Faculty and Staff

To assist all travelers, the University is pleased to announce that it has contracted with International SOS (ISOS) to provide logistical support and risk, security, and COVID-19 information as you plan and engage in travel. The University has developed the following guidelines that apply to travel during COVID-19. Before and during travel, faculty and staff should consult regularly with ISOS and continue to closely monitor Centers for Disease Control and Department of State information concerning the COVID-19 threat at their anticipated destination. Faculty and staff should regularly monitor the Policies, Guidelines and Updates on the W&L COVID-19 Dashboard and continue to follow Protocols for Travel Abroad for all University-related international travel, as those policies, protocols and guidelines may be updated.  

All faculty and staff seeking funds, endorsement, or support from the University for international travel must secure advance approval from their department heads or supervisors. Heads and supervisors should review the necessity of international travel, the risks associated with it, and the capacity of the department's budget to cover travel interruption/change, quarantine, and other non-medical costs associated with COVID-19 that are not covered by insurance.

University funds can only be used to fund international travel for faculty, staff, and students to countries where the CDC Risk Assessment Level for COVID-19 is Level 1 (Low) or Level 2 (Moderate) and the U.S. Department of State's Travel Advisory is Level 1 (Exercise Normal Precautions) or Level 2 (Exercise Increased Caution).  For destinations where any travel advisory exceeds level two, travelers must request an exception through the travel registry.  The Provost will use the travel advisory with the ISOS report to determine whether to make an exception.  Absent an approved exception, no tickets should be purchased or non-refundable expenditures made.

Covid-19 Travel Guidelines for Faculty and Staff

Travel Registry

The Travel Registry is for international travel not affiliated with the Center for International Education, such as faculty/staff abroad on university business, travel with an athletic team, the choir, etc. All personnel participating in Washington and Lee sponsored international travel must register their travel to include emergency contact information.

Before you begin, please note that you will need the following:

  • a scanned copy of your passport,
  • your passport information, and
  • your travel information.

You DO NOT need to use the Travel Registry if you are:

(Need help using the Travel Registry? Download this handout.)

Begin Student Registration

Begin Faculty/Staff Travel Registration