Preferred First Name Policy
Washington and Lee University recognizes that some of its community members prefer to identify themselves by a first name other than their legal first name. The University will use preferred first name whenever possible in the course of University business and education, except where the use of legal first name is required by law, for external entity reporting purposes, or otherwise.
This policy applies to all W&L faculty, staff, students, alumni/ae, and volunteers.
- Preferred First Name
- The first name by which a person prefers to go by and be known as. The term Preferred First Name is used in this policy to match the label of the Workday provided field for capturing and storing the data. Synonyms of "preferred" include selected, chosen, favored, and picked.
Washington and Lee University recognizes that some of its community members prefer to identify themselves by a first name other than their legal first name-this is sometimes also referred to as a "chosen name" or a "nick name." Members of the University community are free to choose the name by which they prefer to be known and which is reflected in the University's information systems, so long as use of the different name is not inappropriate (for example, use of profanity or language that has the effect of mockery or misrepresentation). W&L reserves the right to deny a preferred first name request which it deems inappropriate. Preferred first name will be used wherever possible in the course of University business and education, except where the use of the legal first name is required by law, for external entity reporting purposes, or otherwise.
Examples (non-exclusive) of where preferred and legal first name will appear in University Information Systems and reports, if a preferred first name is provided:
Preferred First Name
- Advancement Operations, including Alumni Records
- Commencement Program
- Course Roster
- Email & Network Account and Display Name
- Employment Correspondence
- Faculty Advisee List
- General Correspondence
- Honors Program or Listing (printed or on web)
- News Release
- President's List Honor
- Residence-Life Roster
- University Card
- Workday Profile
Legal First Name
- Degree Certification
- Enrollment Verification
- Financial Aid and Billing Record
- Gift Receipt
- Health Insurance/Medical Record
- Government Agencies (like IRS, Dept. of Education, ICE, SCHEV, SEVP)
- Payroll Record
Students and Employees who wish to designate a preferred first name can do so directly within the Workday application. Quick help reference guides can be found here:
- Students: View this Workday guide on updating personal information.
- Employees: Visit this Workday Quick Tips page and view the "How do I change my Legal and Preferred Names in Workday?" entry. (Towards the bottom of the list).
Questions or issues completing the preferred first name change, please contact one of the following, as appropriate:
- current students: University Registrar, email@example.com
- current employees or volunteers: Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org
- alumni/ae or former students: Alumni Affairs, email@example.com
This policy has not yet been revised.