How Do I Apply?
Returning students receiving need-based grant assistance must re-apply each year. The deadline to re-apply is May 1, 2022. Please be aware that you will use your 2020 federal tax returns for the income questions in your 2022-23 academic year application. Many university scholarships will also require the submission of the FAFSA to renew the award for the subsequent year.
Students are expected to monitor their Aid Status Online to stay informed of the documents or actions that are required for their specific university grant or scholarship.
After logging into the financial aid portal, students should navigate to the "Items Requiring Your Attention" link to view current document status information. All financial aid documents currently required of the student will be listed along with a status of received or not received.
Financial aid offers will be available via the web at Aid Status Online as applications are completed. Students who submit their applications after the deadlines will receive their aid offers later in the summer and will not be eligible for appeal or reconsideration. Once you receive your financial aid offers, please feel free to contact the Office of Financial Aid if you have questions regarding your aid.
Special Circumstances? You are welcome to notify our office of any special or unusual circumstances beyond the family's control which will limit your ability to afford educational costs. To do so, please submit the Notification of Special Circumstances.
International students should see our international student resources page for instructions specific to their financial aid.
NEW APPLICATIONS FOR UNIVERSITY NEED-BASED GRANT
The application for institutionally funded need-based grant (and the W&L Promise) consists of the four steps listed below. The application must be submitted by the May 1, 2022 aid application deadline if you wish to be considered for university funded need-based grant.
STEP 1: Complete the 2022-23 CSS Profile online using your 2020 federal tax returns.
- Required for University need-based grants
- Our school code for the CSS Profile is 5887
- A PROFILE application is required for both parent households if your parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried.
STEP 2: Complete the 2022-23 FAFSA online using your 2020 federal tax returns.
- Our school code for the FAFSA is 003768
- Eligibility for any federally funded need-based grant, federal student and/or parent loan, or federal work-study requires the submission of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid.) The You are not required to submit the institutional need-based application to receive federal aid.
STEP 3: Submit your parents' 2020 Federal Tax Returns directly to the W&L Office of Financial Aid via electronic upload or mail:
- Your parents' 2020 federal tax returns including all schedules, W-2s, 1099s, etc
- 2020 Federal tax returns for businesses and corporations including all schedules, K-1s, etc, if applicable
- If your parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried, your non-custodial parent's tax return is also required.
- If your parent is not required to file a 2020 federal tax return, please submit the W&L Non-Tax Filer Statement (available under Forms).
STEP 4: Monitor Your Aid Requirements
- Please see the instructions at the top of this page regarding access to the FA online portal.
- Many documents can be uploaded electronically to our site. To do so, click the upload button next to the document you would like to submit. You will be prompted to navigate to the document's location on your computer so it can be uploaded to our website. The security of your sensitive materials is important at W&L. Email attachments can be compromised. Due to security and privacy concerns we do not accept documents submitted via fax or email.