International Student Orientation Answers for newly admitted students related to International Student Orientation and arriving at W&L.

1. How do I obtain a student visa?

After you pay your deposit, the Center for International Education will contact you about starting the student visa process. This process generally takes at least two months, but maybe longer depending on where you live and the suspension of visa services due to COVID-19. You will receive the documents you need (with instructions) to schedule your student visa appointment at a U.S. embassy or consulate once you provide the information required for form I-20 issuance. If you are transferring your I-20 from a secondary school in the U.S., you will need to complete the Transfer-In Form. If you have any questions about the visa process, please contact Hunter Swanson ( 

2. Where will I live?

First-year students should receive information about residence hall assignment in July. If you have a roommate, you will be given that person's contact information so that you can introduce yourself this summer. All exchange students will be living in the Global Service House.

3. How do I ship items to my room?

You should receive a brochure that gives you the opportunity to purchase packages of bedding, towels and other personal effects. In addition, you may also want to ship items such as a laptop or other school supplies. Mail Services will begin accepting packages shipped via FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. for students over the summer beginning at a date to be determined later. To make sure that you receive your package, follow these guidelines:

· Your package must weigh less than 50 pounds.

· Your package must be able to be carried by one person.

· Your package must be clearly labeled on all sides like this:

Student Name 'Class Year
Residence Hall and Room Number
Washington and Lee University
204 West Washington Street
Lexington, VA 24450-2116

Specific questions regarding package delivery should be directed to Mail Services: or 540-458-8573.

4. What is the meal plan like at Washington and Lee University?

First year students are automatically enrolled in the continuous dining plan and will be billed accordingly. The continuous dining plan allows you to have 28 buffet-style meals per week on campus. Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free meal options are available. Visiting and exchange students will have an option to purchase a meal plan from several options after arrival. If you have special dietary needs (e.g. halal, kosher, etc.), please contact Hunter Swanson.

5. How do I get billed?

By mid-July bills for your first semester tuition, room, health insurance, and meal plan costs should be sent to you by email. In August, you will likely be billed for your medical insurance and in September, you will receive a bill for books and course fees (applies to some classes). Any financial aid will be credited at that time. Please make sure you have learned how to access the General Payments System, so that you can access your student account, view bills, and make payments. You should receive an email inviting you to create an account in late June. Due to privacy laws in the US, only YOU will have access to your student account information. If your family members will be paying the bills, you will need to grant permission for them to access the system. The Business Office can assist you with billing related questions.

6. What are the required immunizations? Do I need health insurance?

International students starting at W&L in the fall term will be automatically enrolled in the student health insurance plan with coverage that begins August 1.  The health insurance plans meets all visa requirements. For further information about the student health insurance plan please visit the Student Health Insurance web site or contact the Student Health Center at

Please complete the Report of Medical History and the Immunization Record forms and email a scanned copy to by July 31st. Please bring the original forms with you when you come to International Student Orientation.

7. Can I ask current students about student life?

Yes, you will be assigned a New International Student Mentor based on similar interested over the summer. Your International Student Mentor can answer questions related to student life and the student experience at W&L and will also help you adjust to campus life during your first term. 

8. When do I sign up for classes?

All first-year degree-seeking international students register for courses in September. Exchange students will be registered earlier. All international students must maintain full-time enrollment during the fall and winter terms. More information about the registration process for first-year students is provided by the Registrar's office.