Kinsey graduated cum laude with a B.A. in business journalism in 2017 from Washington & Lee, where her favorite class was (unsurprisingly) reporting on business. She split her time between Leyburn and the top floor of Reid Hall, where she worked on the Rockbridge Report all four years. She also served as the Ring-Tum Phi's managing editor and on the leadership team of W&L's SJC chapter.
Journalism, Media, and Publishing
Explore careers in journalism, media, and publishing by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment via Handshake with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
The Office of Career and Professional Development at Washington and Lee University has not vetted any of the internship and volunteer opportunity listings on this page and makes no representations or guarantees regarding any of the listed opportunities. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to do their own due diligence when applying for and accepting any of these opportunities.
- CBS News - Internship program in various departments; deadlines October 31 and February 28, and June 30
- Journalism Jobs - Great resource - sort by type: magazine, digital, newspaper, tv/radio, trade publications, PR/Communications, nonprofit/government/academia, financial and diversity
- L.A. Times - Summer reporting internship; deadline November 15!
- National Public Radio
- AP Internship - 12 week journalism internship covering business/entertainment or global news
- ABC News - Internship in network news
Writing, Editing, and Publishing
- American Copy Editors Society
- Association of American Publishers
- Book Jobs - Internships in publishing
- Dow Jones News Fund - Multi-platform editing internship
- iei Media - Study multimedia reporting and international journalism
- Newspaper Association of America
- New York Women in Communication
- Publishers Marketplace
- Publishers Weekly Job Zone
- Society for News Design
- Slate - Various open positions in editorial internships
- AdLib - Conference hosted by the Williams School for students to interact with alumni in the industry
- Ampersand - Student art and literature magazine
- Diverge - Student magazine for promoting dialogue on-campus
- inGeneral - inGeneral magazine primarily serves to educate the Washington and Lee and greater Lexington community through providing news and student interest pieces relevant to students, faculty, and Lexington residents, including but not limited to: individual profile stories; student movement stories; and Lexington business and organization stories.
- Journalism Department Resources
- Political Review - The Washington & Lee Political Review is a student-administered, student-centered academic journal with a clear emphasis on political science and political theory. The Review showcases exceptional undergraduate scholarship, and serves as an ambassador to the academic community at large.
- The Calyx - Yearbook organization for Washington and Lee
- The Gennies Daily - Student organization providing news updates via social media to the Washington and Lee community
- The Ring-tum Phi - It is the mission of The Ring-tum Phi to accurately, truthfully and thoroughly report news affecting the Washington and Lee community for students, faculty, parents and alumni.
- WLU Lex - Student organization for publicizing W&L on social media accounts
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with progressional. Below are some alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource. To connect with someone, log in to Colonnade Connections and find their contact information. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.