Robert co-founded Go Smart Solar to be a part of the future of energy. He believes moving to more renewable energy is not just the right thing to do, but it creates opportunities, jobs and growth. In 2019, Go Smart Solar announced Big Sun Solar, a 5 megawatt community solar project commissioned by CPS Energy in San Antonio. Prior to founding GSS, he spent 15 years in senior executive roles at high growth cloud computing service providers - first at Rackspace as Vice President Sales and then at Peer1 Hosting as Senior Vice President Business Development. He brings first-hand executive experience on how to build and scale high growth service companies. He holds a BA in economics from Washington and Lee University and an MBA from UT Austin’s McCombs School of Business.
Earth/Environmental Science and Sustainability
Explore careers in the environmental field by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment via Handshake with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
A career in the environmental field often requires a scientific resume which can highlight skills such as research. Check out scientific resume examples on Handshake.
The Office of Career and Professional Development at Washington and Lee University has not vetted any of the internship and volunteer opportunity listings on this page and makes no representations or guarantees regarding any of the listed opportunities. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to do their own due diligence when applying for and accepting any of these opportunities.
- AG Careers - Jobs and internships in agriculture, food, and biotechnology
- USDA - Jobs and internships with the Department of Agriculture
- Clean Energy Jobs - Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Department of Energy - Fellowships, internships, and mentoring in STEM
- Get into Energy - A non-profit organization, CEWD's goal is to build awareness among students, parents, teachers, guidance counselors and others about the fantastic career opportunities available in the energy industry.
- Nuclear Energy Institute
- Renewable Energy World - Source for renewable energy news, products, jobs and more.
Environment & Conservation
- AASHE Bulletin - Jobs and resources for sustainability
- Apogee Adventures- Offers teen adventure campus and outdoor education
- Coolworks - Outdoor and wilderness jobs and summer opportunities
- Eco.org - Jobs and internships with green/eco employers
- Environmental Career
- Environmental Jobs
- Environmental Science.org - Environmental and green job search
- EPA - Jobs and internships with the Environmental Protection Agency
- Green Jobs
- International Institute for Sustainable Development - Opportunities in various sustainability areas with a job IISD mailing list
- National Park Service - Jobs and internships with the NPS
- Net Impact - Jobs and internships in various environmental fields
- Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy - Jobs and internships within clean energy
- Society for Conservation Biology - Jobs in conservation efforts
- US Forest Service - Jobs and internships with the USFS
- UVA Career Center Environmental Services- Resources and information on opportunities within environmental science
- UVA Career Center Environmental & Sustainability Management
- UVA Career Center Utilities & Renewable Energy
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality - Job opportunities with th Virginia DEQ
- A BAR A Ranch - Opportunities include & are not limited to: culinary/food, children counselor, housekeeper, gardener, grounds crew, and fishing guide.
- American Explorers - Youth-based outdoor leadership program for nonprofit groups.
- Backdoor Jobs - Job board with listings organized by geographic location
- CoolWorks - Job board organized by category, state, and season, also includes national parks jobs
- Moondance - Adventure trips for teens, they hire trip leaders for summer trips to locations worldwide
- Environmental Studies Program Opportunities
- Geology Department Resources
- SEAL - The Student Environmental Action League supports sustainability on campus and within the local community, increases student awareness of environmental issues, and takes the initiative towards preserving, researching, and ultimately enjoying our natural environment.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with progressional. Below are some alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource. To connect with someone, log in to Colonnade Connections and find their contact information. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.