Loan Deferment Processing

Washington and Lee University participates in the National Student Clearinghouse for all loan processing. Once a month (except during the summer), W&L submits a report of students' enrollment status to the Clearinghouse, which, in turn, supplies verification of enrollment to lending agencies.

If your lender needs a deferment form processed, bring the form only (no envelopes needed) to the University Registrar's office in Early-Fielding. The completed deferment form must include the following information:

  1. Student's full name
  2. Student's Social Security number
  3. Date of birth
  4. Student's signature
  5. W&L school code = 3768
  6. Loan holder or servicer's address
    (this is in the form's lender section, typically found on page 2)

Important: If a student has more than one loan holder, he or she must complete a separate deferment form for each lender/servicer.

W&L will forward your deferment forms to the Clearinghouse, which will verify your enrollment to your lender. W&L does not supply this information directly to lending agencies. The University Registrar's office mails deferment forms to the Clearinghouse in a timely manner (within 1-2 days); however, the Clearinghouse cannot process the deferment until the beginning of a new term, after the beginning of term report has been submitted by W&L.

View your student loan deferment notifications that the Clearinghouse has provided to your loan holders (lenders and guarantors). To utilize this service, use the secure and trusted login to the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) located in the WebAdvisor Student menu. At the NSC web site, follow the login and menu instructions.

You can also get information directly at the NSC My Student Center website.

If you registered late or had a change in enrollment status, this information may not be reported until the submission of our next Clearinghouse enrollment update. The Clearinghouse asks that if you receive a collections letter from a servicer, you do the following:

  1. Call your lending agency to see if a deferment form was received between the time the Clearinghouse supplied the information and the lending agency sent the collection letter to you.
  2. If, after calling the servicer, it still appears that the deferment has not been processed, call the Clearinghouse at 703-742-7791 and ask to speak to a Student Service Representative. The representative will verify when your deferment form was received by the Clearinghouse, the date the deferment was certified and mailed, the enrollment status that was certified, and where the forms were sent.
  3. If an emergency exists - for example, you are 150 days delinquent and being threatened with default - the Clearinghouse will intervene on your behalf by faxing another enrollment certification to your servicer. Further, it will work with your servicer to ensure that your form is processed on a high-priority basis.

Contact the University Registrar's office if you have any questions.