What Do I Need to Do Concerning Registration When I Study Off Campus?

Pick Your Scenario:

You're going on a W&L program (spring term abroad, internship off-campus, etc.)

  • You must still register for any course for which you want credit and to maintain a full-time load.
  • If you have met with the course faculty member or paid money to travel abroad, this DOES NOT mean that you are properly registered for the course. You must actually register for the course in Student Planning when your registration window is open.

You're on-campus now and studying away beginning next term through a non-W&L study-away program

  • The University Registrar's staff will register you in a placeholder course for the terms in which you will be away, in order to indicate your continuing enrollment at W&L. These are INTR 998 (study abroad, each term), INTR 298 (your required evaluation of study abroad, in your last term away from W&L), or INTR 999 (U.S. study off-campus). You may not register for W&L courses for the terms in which you will be away.
  • Students whose study abroad plan is tenuous or who have a last-minute change of plans will receive individualized assistance for late registration. If your study-away program falls through for personal, financial, geologic, or political reasons, contact your academic adviser(s), dean(s), or the University Registrar for help.

You're studying off-campus now and registration is taking place at W&L

  • On occasion, students plan to continue their abroad experience and then for some reason -- health, financial, change of plans -- they want to return to campus. If your study-away plans change, contact your academic adviser(s), dean(s), or the University Registrar for help.
  • Using any Web browser, you can register in Student Planning when your window is open and your faculty adviser has given authorization.
  • While you are away, if you are traveling or have no access to a computer to register during any of the 7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. US Eastern time zone window, you may contact the University Registrar's office for help (registrar@wlu.edu). Please note that staff can help to register you into classes of your choice only during the Pick Three window, but there will be no overrides of conflicts, instructor consents, or closed courses.
  • You may see a Student Planning error message WARNING: The student is on hiatus from MM/DD/YY to MM/DD/YY... but this is just a warning. It does not stop you from registering.

Accessing Student Planning while Abroad

For students who experience connectivity issues at host campuses (e.g., while studying abroad), try using W&L's MyVI virtual interface (myvi.wlu.edu) as an alternative from your own computer. This will require you to assent to a download of Citrix Plugin through which you will be able to run the compatible browser of your choice.