Mission of the University Registrar's Office at W&L
The office of the University Registrar supports the University's mission to provide "a liberal arts education that develops students' capacity to think freely, critically, and humanely and to conduct themselves with honor, integrity, and civility. Graduates will be prepared for life-long learning, personal achievement, responsible leadership, service to others, and engaged citizenship in a global and diverse society."
The University Registrar's staff will function together as an "academic service station" to all of the University's constituents in a consistent, accessible, and friendly manner.
Our specific goals include:
- providing secure and confidential academic records evaluation and storage;
- administering the registration, grade collection and distribution, and certification processes as efficiently and humanely as possible;
- providing quick, accurate, and personalized action on requests for transcripts, advising, research, and other appropriate requests for information;
- informing, in a timely way, the entire campus community of academic and other related policies, and providing fair and consistent interpretation of these policies and their appeals procedures;
- acting as a policies-and-practices "argus", especially in regard to those actions which are unclear in wording or purpose or inconsistent in application;
- helping students negotiate the degree completion process and making the Commencement celebration meaningful and enjoyable;
- improving the personal and professional interpersonal skills and technical competencies of the office staff, and
modeling the Statement of Professional Ethics and Practice of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
A great deal of information about W&L is on University's web pages; however, very often factual questions and interpretation of policy are most effectively answered in person. If you have questions about course offerings, major requirements, academic calendar dates, or other issues related to the academic realm, please feel free to stop by and talk with us. We will do our best to help you find the answers to your questions. If you'd rather not wait until we can meet in Early-Fielding, just drop us an e-mail at email@example.com and we'll reply as soon as possible.