TELUS Health: Student Support Program Receive support 24/7
Your Success Is Important
TELUS Health Student Support Program is a FREE confidential online counseling service offering mental health support and wellbeing resources for ALL Washington and Lee students via text, phone, or video 24/7. TELUS Health complements W&L's existing counseling services. Talking to an experienced professional at the right time can make a positive difference. TELUS Health is here to help you succeed.
TELUS Health resources and professional counselors can help you address common concerns such as:
- Relationship issues
- Feelings of isolation, loneliness, sadness, or homesickness
- Stress, frustration,concerns or uncertainty about any aspect of their life
- Adapting to a new campus culture, learning style or city
- Anxiety about upcoming exams or disappointment with academic performance
- Creating balance between personal and academic priorities
- Procrastination and building time management skills
- Tensions with family members, friends, or roommates
What is TELUS Health?
TELUS Health complements the university's existing counseling services and provides you free and confidential mental health and wellbeing support 24/7 regardless of location.
- Real-time chat support 24/7 — Chat with a professional counselor with experience dealing with the challenges faced by college students - no appointment necessary.
- Telephone support 24/7 — Short-term scheduled support with a professional counselor is also available via phone or video - call to set up initial appointment.
- Short term support from a dedicated counselor — Connect with the same counselor over multiple sessions via telephone or video appointments.
- Health assessments — Complete an anonymous assessment to get feedback on your emotional health.
- Browse health & wellbeing content — Access articles, podcasts, infographics, and videos addressing a variety of wellbeing topics.
- Access virtual fitness sessions — Sign up for FREE virtual fitness sessions available through LIFT.
TELUS Health app content and support are available in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese (simplified Chinese text) and French.
How to access TELUS Health
You can access real-time support or schedule an appointment for short-term support with a My SSP counselor by:
- Downloading the TELUS Health app from App Store or Google Play
- Visiting the TELUS Health website
- Calling toll free 866-743-7732 (if calling from outside the US, call 001-416-380-6578)
To set-up the TELUS Health app on your phone:
- Create a user profile. When asked what school you are affiliated with, type in Washington and Lee. You will also choose the language you prefer to communicate in.
- On the home page and you'll see a phone icon which will allow you to call to speak to a mental health professional; and a chat icon which will allow you to text with a mental health professional. Both of these are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- When you text with or talk to a mental health professional, you can indicate that you would like to receive on-going counseling, and they will connect you to someone who can work with you within a few days. In the meantime you can use the talk and chat features as often as you need to.
- As you explore the app, you'll find all kinds of resources, from articles on various topics that might be of interest to you, podcasts, virtual fitness classes and so much more.
Want to learn more?
Resources For Faculty & Staff
TELUS Health provides direct support to faculty and staff at Washington and Lee who work with students. Please reach out to TELUS Health if you wish to consult with a counselor on any student issue, such as delivering difficult news or approaching a matter with student in a sensitive way.
How can faculty and staff access this service?
Dial 866-743-7732 to consult with a Student Support Counselor.
How can I help spread the word about TELUS Health as a faculty or staff member at Washington and Lee?
- Familiarize yourself with the program by downloading the TELUS Health app
- Help students identify reasons to connect with a Student Support Counselor
- Incorporate TELUS Health information into conversations with students where ever possible