In case of an emergency in which your or another's immediate safety is at risk, please call Public Safety at 540-458-8999. If calling off-campus, dial 911.
During Regular Business Hours
Between the hours of 8:30am — 5:00pm Monday — Friday, same-day urgent appointments are available for students who may be at an elevated mental health risk, including, but not limited to, those types of issues listed below. For more information, students are encouraged to call the University Counseling Center at 540-458-8590.
- Current or recent thoughts of harm to self or others
- Concerned about the safety of another person
- Experienced a recent trauma
- Experiencing hallucinations, delusions, disorganized thinking and/or behavior
- Have been unable to sleep for two or more days, along with a decreased need for sleep
After Regular Business Hours
The Student Health Center has beds available for overnight care if a student feels too unwell to care for themselves or needs a respite for any reason. Issues may be related to any medical or mental health problem that does not require hospitalization. Emergency cases beyond the scope of care at the Student Health Center will be directed to Carilion Rockbridge Community Hospital, located just one mile from campus. For more information, students are encouraged to call the Student Health Center at 540-458-8401.
In addition to the other resources listed on our website, Project Horizon can be contacted 24-hours a day for support and information about the possibility of evidence collection. Project Horizon can be reached at 540-463-2594.
In addition, a number of state and national hotlines are available:
- Virginia State Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline (VSDS): 800-838-8238
- National Domestic Violence Hotline (NDV): 800-799-7233
- Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN): 800-656-4673
- Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: 988
- 24/7 phone/text services through TELUS Health: 866-743-7732
- Students of Color Textline: Text STEVE to 741-741
- LGBTQ Trevor Text Line: Text START to 678-678
- Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860
- Addictions Hotline: 844-289-0879