Start a Club Funding, Starting and Sustaining a Student Organization

Whether you're starting a new organization or growing an existing one, Student Activities offers a number of resources to help.

New student organizations should register with the Office of Student Activities by first contacting to set up an appointment. The Director of Student Activities can provide you with requirements to register your organization and answer questions about how to get started. 

All registered student organizations are now required to create a profile within Engage W&L under the Student Activities subgroup. If your organization already has a profile set up, please make sure that new leaders are transitioned in as admins to your profile. Please contact the office of the Director of Student Activities with questions about setting up a profile. Trainings and Q&A sessions will be held throughout the academic year to provide you with more information about how to use the platform. 

Registered student organizations are allowed to reserve space in Elrod Commons and elsewhere on campus, hang banners and table in Elrod Commons, and advertise through the Student Activities office via email and social media channels. Your organization must also be recognized by the Office of Student Activities in order to register for the Campus Activities Fair during Orientation Week. (Please note: you do not yet need to have received EC recognition in order to be registered with the Student Activities office or to participate in the fair). The Student Activities staff is available to assist in designing and distributing posters, creating social media advertising for events, and adding your information to the University calendar and Campus Notices system. We are here to help you!

All student organizations registered with the office of Student Activities are required to have an on-campus faculty or staff advisor. If your organization is having trouble finding an advisor, our office is happy to help connect you with faculty or staff on campus interested in serving as student organization advisors. 

Information about applying for recognition and funding by the Executive Committee can be found here. Please remember that EC recognition is required before your group can request an account in the Business Office, even if you are not seeking EC funding at this time. Feel free to reach out to Student Activities, the Executive Committee, or the Business Office for clarification.

Student Organization Application

Organizations must complete this application to be recognized by the Office of Student Activities. Benefits of recognition include the ability to reserve space in the Commons and elsewhere on campus, request a cubicle and advertise in the Commons, check out Outing Club equipment for group activities, participate in the Campus Activities Fair during Orientation Week, and be listed on the University's website.

Executive Committee Recognition for Student Organizations

All student organizations must be recognized by the Executive Committee of the Student Body (EC) in order to receive recognition and/or funding by the Washington and Lee University student body. Please read the EC's policy and fill out the Application for Recognition. The Office of Student Activities works closely with the Executive Committee of the Student Body to support their mission and function.

EC Budget/Funding Request

Organizations recognized by the Executive Committee may request funding in accordance with the Committee's Budget Policy. The policy, current budget allocations and the funding request form are available on the EC website.

Request an Email Address

Recognized student organizations may request an organization email address with permission from Student Activities by creating an IT Help Ticket.