University Committee on Inclusiveness and Campus Climate
The University Committee on Inclusiveness and Campus Climate (UCICC) reports to the President and is charged to provide guidance to the President and other members of the university as we build a supportive, inclusive and diverse community and create a climate open and welcoming to persons from diverse backgrounds. The committee represents the views of students, staff, administration, and faculty. It will help the University fulfill its institutional values that stress the importance of the individual and respect for others.
Reporting directly to the President, the committee's specific charge is to:
- Produce an annual report on our campus climate, especially with respect to inclusiveness and diversity, that charts the University's progress on key longitudinal measures.
- Advise the President on matters related to inclusiveness and campus climate.
- Address from time to time particular issues of concern, such as gender or racial relations across campus, through focused study and analysis, and make recommendations to the President for further action by appropriate University officials, committees or administrative bodies.
- Provide an institutional platform to address issues of inclusiveness and diversity, in response to concerns within the campus community.
Mary Main, Co-Chair
Executive Director, Human Resources
Paul Youngman, Co-Chair
Core Faculty, Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Dean for Diversity, Inclusion and Student Engagement
Head of the Department of Physical Education and Athletics
representative of the Law School
Associate Dean of Admissions
Associate Director, International Education
Associate Professor of Sociology
Professor of Mathematics
Assistant Professor of English
Zoila Ponce de Leon Seijas
Assistant Professor of Politics
2020-2024 (replacing Elizabeth Denne - 2018-2021)
Senior Library Assistant (non-exempt)
November 2019 - June 2022
Executive Assistant to the Board of Trustees (non-exempt)
July 2019 - June 2021
Director of Public Safety (supervisor/administrator)
July 2019 - June 2022
Executive Assistant to the Provost (non-exempt)
January 2018-June 2021
Enuma Anekwe-Desince '22U
Aaron Hardy '21L
Jin Ni '22U
Andrea Rojas '23U
Noriya Shahadat '21L
The committee membership consists of the following:
- Executive Director of Human Resources;
- Associate Provost;
- Four faculty members, appointed by the Provost and to include representation from each of the three academic units;
- One representative of the Center for International Education or a representative from the Committee on International Education;
- Head of the Department of Physical Education and Athletics;
- Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs in the School of Law;
- An Associate Dean of Student Affairs;
- Head of the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program or a representative from that program's core faculty selected by the Provost;
- Three non-exempt staff members, appointed by the Vice President for Finance and Administration upon the recommendation of the Executive Director of Human Resources, chosen from the operations and support staff to attain broad representation;
- One supervisor/administrator, appointed by the Vice President for Finance and Administration upon the recommendation of the Executive Director of Human Resources; and
- Five students, to include at least one law student, nominated by the Student Body Executive Committee and appointed by the Vice President for Student Affairs. Student appointments will take place in the spring term preceding the academic year in which appointed students begin service.
Members serve three-year terms, with the exception of the students who will serve one-year terms but also be eligible for additional terms through re-nomination by the Executive Committee and subsequent re-appointment by the VPSA/Dean of Students. The terms of the initial members of the committee will be staggered to ensure continuity of membership in the committee's formative years.
The committee is co-chaired by the Associate Provost and the Executive Director of Human Resources.