Institutional Review Board for Research with Human Subjects (IRB)
Institutional Review Board for Research with Human Subjects (the University's IRB) is composed of four members of the Washington and Lee community and one non-institutional member. The primary purpose of the committee is to assure the protection of the rights and welfare of human research subjects according to federal and state regulations and guidelines. The committee will review institutional or university faculty research proposals which would involve the use of human subjects and assure their compliance with appropriate protocols. Current policy statement and forms are available on the Provost's website.
Bryan Price, Chair
Ex Officio Members:
- Jane Horton, Director of Health and Counseling Services
- Bryan Price, Assistant Provost for Institutional Effectiveness and Director of Institutional Research; IRB Chair
Four Appointed Faculty Members - One annually for 5-year terms:
- Wythe Whiting - 2019-2024
- Kyle Friend - 2015-2020
- Alecia Swasy - 2018-2021 (replacing Claudette Artwick - 2016-2021)
- Erin Taylor - 2018-2023
Non-faculty, non-alumna/alumnus community member:
- Laura Lanier, M.D. - 2013-2020
- ? - 2019-2020
All research proposals that involve human subjects or questions regarding the IRB process should be directed to Bryan Price, Chair of the IRB.