University Safety Committee is charged with providing a safe and secure living and working environment for the students, faculty, staff, and visitors of Washington and Lee University. The committee is chaired by the University's Director of Environmental Health and Safety and acts in an advisory capacity to the University President. It is responsible for adopting, reviewing, planning, and implementing safety and health policies and procedures. Membership includes the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, the Executive Director of University Facilities, the Director of Public Safety, the Associate Provost, the Executive Director of Human Resources, the Director of Residence Life, the Director of Athletic Facilities, a member of the staff of the Lenfest Center for the Arts, and two appointed faculty members. A member of the Office of General Counsel will serve in an advisory capacity. Beyond policies and procedures, other committee responsibilities include:
- discussing and analyzing hazards identified by the Director of Environmental Health and Safety or submitted by members of the campus community and suggesting appropriate action to eliminate or minimize the hazards.
- reviewing inspections of work areas and buildings, prioritizing safety discrepancies discovered, and recommending corrective measures.
- reviewing all accident reports and selected accident investigations, analyzing the reports for trends, and formulating recommendations to eliminate or control specific problems.
- encouraging feedback from all employees regarding safety, including soliciting possible solutions to identified hazards, ideas for better safety awareness and safer practices, and identification of possible safety hazards.
- communicating safety policies, training programs, and other safety-related matters to employees.
The committee shall meet quarterly.
Michael Jennings, Director of Environmental Health and Safety, Chair
Ex Officio Members:
- Michael Jennings, Director of Environmental Health and Safety
- Thomas Kalasky, Executive Director of University Facilities
- Paul A. Youngman, Associate Provost
- Phillip Trimmer, Chemical Hygiene Officer, Laboratory Technician, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Mac Testerman, Interim Director of Public Safety
- John Lindberg, Assistant Director for Production, Lenfest Center for the Arts
- Jodi Williams, Executive Director of Human Resources
- Christopher Reid, Director of Residence Life
- Chris Wheeler, Director of Facilities in Athletics
- Tim Vest, Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration
Advisory to the Committee:
- DaQuana Carter, Associate General Counsel
Appointed Members (Two-year terms):
- Jeff Schatten - 2021-2023
- Antonio Reyes - 2022-2024