Museums Advisory Committee
Museums Advisory Committee is typically composed of Museum leadership, a faculty representative from the Department of Art and Art History, and other appropriate members designated by the Provost, which may include the Dean of The College (or designee), the Vice President for University Advancement (or designee), representatives from both Law and the Undergraduate Libraries, and other faculty representatives as required from relevant disciplines.
The Museums at W&L advance learning through direct engagement with the collections and facilitate an interdisciplinary appreciation of art, history, and culture. The Museums at W&L consist of the Reeves Museum of Ceramics, the University Chapel & Galleries, and Watson Galleries.
Advisory Committee members, each serving three-year terms, consult with Museums staff regarding thematic, logistical, and financial issues. In order to provide well-informed guidance in carrying out the Museums' mission, Committee members will ideally participate in its events and assist with educating the community about its programs. Furthermore, Committee members will be asked to draw from their unique disciplinary/professional perspectives and community affiliations to inform the development of interdisciplinary, innovative, and inclusive programming.
Committee members are charged with:
1. Supporting the mission of the Museums and advocating on behalf of the Museums as an academic resource within the university community.
2. Recommending funding strategies for programming and acquisitions.
3. Advising on educational programming and interpretive strategies.
4. Reviewing objects proposed for acquisition and making recommendations regarding acceptance.
5. Reviewing all objects recommended for deaccession and making recommendations regarding removing objects from the collection.
6. Reviewing proposed incoming and outgoing loans.
Elizabeth Teaff, Chair
Ex Officio Members:
Kim Sims, Head of Special Collections, University Library
Isra El-beshir, Director of the Museums
Genelle Gertz, Associate Dean of Strategic Initiatives
Nancy McIntyre, Senior Director of Development (for The College)
Members, alternating three-year appointments:
Sarah Horowitz - 2021-2024
Sandy de Lissovoy - 2021-2024
Janet Ikeda Yuba - 2021-2024
Wendy Castenell - 2023-2026
James Broda - 2023-2026