The First-Year Award indicates recognition by the faculty for outstanding work in the department and related coursework.
Awards and Scholarships
2023 Department Award Recipients
- Zihan Li - Physics-Engineering First Year Award - indicates recognition by the faculty for outstanding work in the department and related coursework
- Jessica Clark and Luke Nagel - Physics-Engineering Sophomore Award - recognition by the faculty for outstanding work in the department and related coursework
- Tekle Khmiadashvili and Jonathan Corranza Cortes - Physics-Engineering Departmental Award - based on excellence of performance
- Garnett Byrd- Akins Prize in Engineering - awarded to the student best exemplifying academic excellence, a socially responsible commitment to the greater community, and an enthusiasm for the study of engineering
- Cian Bell and Nobel Manaye - H. Thomas Williams Jr. Undergraduate Research Scholarship - named in honor of H. Thomas Williams Jr. by the Board of Trustees in 2007, this award is given to a student(s) in recognition of excellence in faculty-directed research
- Cordelia Aldridge - Edith Lemberg Reese and Harold Augustus Reese Sr. Prize in Physics - awarded to graduating senior physics major pursuing a Ph.D. in physics, astronomy or mathematics.
- W&L Rocketry Club (Garnett Byrd- President- Avis P. Waring Endowment - this scholarship provides support to undergraduate physics or engineering students undertaking a co-curricular activity that connects academic studies, service activities, and/or pre-professional experiences.
- Bonner Kirkland- Wilson Fellowship Award- awarded to any graduate or prospective graduate of Washington and Lee University on an annual basis for students pursuing graduate study in Engineering, Mathematics or Physics.
- Taylor Colaizzi- Stevens Memorial Scholarship- awarded to a student who has made an outstanding recored in the Department of Physics and Engineering.
Other Award Opportunities
In addition to Department scholarships and awards, announcements regarding supplemental opportunities for scholarships which come our way are forwarded to students via email.