Apply for a CBL Course (re)Design Grant A Call for Proposals
The Office of Community-Based Learning (CBL) accepts proposals from faculty and instructors interested in integrating community-based learning into new or existing courses. The purpose of this grant is to support teams, consisting of both faculty and community partner(s), in the collaborative design or redesign of a course to incorporate all five elements of CBL.
The grant seeks to encourage the integration of learning and mentorship with community engagement through reciprocal community partnerships. These collaborations aim to benefit students, community partners, and the greater good. Any instructor is eligible to apply; individuals may only receive this grant once.
- Up to $2,000 per course to be shared, where appropriate, with the community partner co-educator(s) involved in the collaboration.
- A $1,000 stipend is available for the instructor
- Up to an additional $1,000 stipend is available to the community partner(s) based on a sliding scale, depending on the number of community partners and commensurate with community partner involvement.
- Commit to developing or modifying a course that meets an "Achieving" or "Excelling" level for each element on the CBL Course Taxonomy.
- Integrate CBL student learning outcomes into the course
- Apply for CBL Course Designation by the deadline relevant to a given term (see C&D site for exact deadlines).
- Teach the (re)designed course at least once within one academic year of receiving the grant.
- Collaborate with the Office of Community-Based Learning to assess the (re)designed course's impact on students and the community.
- Contribute to the community of learners by engaging in the following activities for two to three years after receiving the grant:
- Presenting or co-presenting at a CBL workshop/session after executing the (re)designed course, or
- Mentoring faculty and/or instructors in creating CBL courses.
- Consult with the Office of Community-Based Learning about your course (re)design idea.
- Complete the grant application, addressing in detail how you will incorporate CBL student learning outcomes and required course design elements into your (re)designed course.