All music majors at Washington and Lee University must demonstrate piano proficiency at the prescribed levels. Students with no prior piano experience must complete both MUS 100: Class Piano I and MUS 101: Class Piano II and will also be tested to determine proficiency.
Requirements vary by degree and concentration, as listed below:
- BA General Sequence: Level 2
- BA Composition Sequence: Level 2
- BA Performance Sequence: (except piano and organ): Level 2
- BA Performance Sequence (piano and organ): Level 3
- BS Vocal Music Emphasis: Level 3
- BS Instrumental Music Emphasis: Level 3
- BS Composition Emphasis: Level 3
All requirements must be completed successfully by the end of the junior year.
Proficiency exams will be scheduled by individual appointment during the first two weeks of each term.
Should a student fail to pass an exam, an opportunity to retake the exam will be offered during the closing week of the term.
NOTE: Piano and organ performance majors may schedule their proficiency exams to take place during juries.
Proficiency Levels and Requirements
Piano proficiency for each level is attained by completing the following requirements.
Complete one of the following options:
• Earn a minimum grade of B- in MUS 100: Class Piano I.
• Schedule a piano screening and earn a recommendation from a keyboard faculty member to proceed to the next proficiency level.
Complete one of the first 2 options, then proceed to the Level 2 Piano Proficiency Exam.
• Earn a minimum grade of B- in MUS 101: Class Piano II.
• Earn a recommendation from a keyboard faculty member to take the exam.
• Pass the Level 2 Piano Proficiency Exam with a score of 85 points or higher
• Pass the Level 3 Piano Proficiency Exam with a score of 80 points or higher.
Students may schedule the Level 3 exam only after the successful completion of Level 2 proficiency requirements.