Department FAQ

Answers to the most frequently asked questions about Music at Washington and Lee. If you have a question that isn't covered here, please contact us!

Do you require auditions for admission?     
All prospective students who are interested in pursuing their musical interests at W&L are encouraged to upload audio or video recordings of their solo performing ability through the Generals Headquarters (GHQ) portal on the University Admissions web page. Not only can this strengthen your application portfolio in general, but it gives our ensemble directors and applied lesson instructors a better idea of the skills and interests of the incoming class.

I think I may declare a major in music. When should I begin applied lessons?
As soon as possible! All music majors must complete at least four credits of applied music study. Those who choose the performance sequence will have to take even more applied lessons in order to prepare for a senior recital. So, you need to get into applied lessons during your first term if possible and definitely no later than your second term.

Are there scholarships available for music study at Washington and Lee?  
No, there are no scholarships specifically in music. However, there is a full range of financial aid available for qualified applicants. Information is available through the Office of Admissions' page on Financial Aid.

What private lessons are taught at Washington and Lee?             
The Music Department offers applied music lessons in the following instruments:

  • Bass
  • Bassoon
  • Cello
  • Clarinet
  • Drumset
  • Flute
  • French horn
  • Guitar (classical, electric and acoustic)
  • Harpsichord
  • Oboe
  • Organ
  • Percussion
  • Piano
  • Saxophone
  • Trombone
  • Trumpet
  • Tuba
  • Voice
  • Viola
  • Violin

Please visit the Applied Music page for more information about taking lessons at Washington and Lee. 

Do you make recordings of the performances?              
All Department of Music events and performances are automatically recorded and archived.

  • Digital recordings of all performances are available through the department's archives; please contact the Audio Engineer, John Taylor.
  • Students may obtain additional copies of their recitals and other public performances by placing a request to the department's Audio Engineer.
  • Video recordings are available on special request only. For rates and scheduling of video recordings please contact the audio engineer, John Taylor..
  • More information about the Recording Studio is available in the Facilities section of the departmental website.