Careers and Graduate Study
Connect with Alumni
- Official W&L LinkedIn page - explore careers of 12,000 + alumni.
- W&L Alumni LinkedIn Group - for alumni and W&L seniors.
- Twitter: Follow @wlualum - for alumni and students to get a pulse on industries of interest and build their Twitter networks.
- Colonnade Connections: For alums to search for each other.
Here are just a few of the careers that use mathematics:
- Actuarial mathematics, applied mathematics, biomathematics, biostatistics, computer science, financial mathematics, economics.
- Law, medicine, music, technical writing.
- Operations research, public heath, epidemiology, public policy.
- Research mathematics, statistics, education.
- The Career Development Center at W&L has extensive resources to help you with career choice, internships, networking with alumni, job placement and graduate school.
- Career Profiles and information on Mathematics Careers. Information provided by mathematics professional organizations (AMS, MAA, SIAM).
- The Mathematical Association of America has a new Mathematics Career Resource Center full of useful information.
- Information on Careers in Applied Mathematics provided by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).
- Careers using Mathematics: Information provided by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).
- Here is some advice from a 2016 SIAM panel on preparing for a job in industry of the business world.
- Dr sarah-marie belcastro has a webpage about careers in mathematics full of information and links to job sites.
- Preparing for an Actuarial career at Washington & Lee: information from Professor Dresden.
- Be an Actuary has information supported and maintained by the actuarial professional societies and some major employers.
- Actuarial Science: Information provided by the actuarial societies (SOA, CAS).
Where W&L math majors have found jobs after graduation
(This is an incomplete list.)
Federal Reserve (research assistant International Finance), Deutsche Bank (investment banking), Brattle Group DC (research analyst), Ernst & Young (technology advisor), Healthcare Consulting Milliman (actuarial), Nationwide Insurance (application developer), Hewlett-Packard (java developer), Epic (integration engineer, technical services analyst), Department of Defense, Edj Analytics.
Graduate School Information
How to apply to math grad school: information from Professor Denne.
Graduate School, Summer Programs, and more: Information provided by the American Mathematical Society.
Graduate program rankings
Where W&L students have gone to graduate school
(These are incomplete lists.)
Mathematics & Statistics
UC Berkeley, North Carolina State University, University of Southern California, University of South Carolina, Univeristy of Iowa, University of North Carolina, University of Virginia, The Ohio State University, Wake Forest University.
Boston University (MS Mathematical Finance), Carnegie Mellon (Finance), Duke University (PhD in Physics), University of Virginia (Medical School), University of Pennsylvania (PhD in Computer Science), University of South Carolina (Medical School), City University of New York (PhD Economics), Harvard's Graduate School of Design.