Cable TV and Xfinity Streaming FAQPrint
What channels are available through the campus Xfinity service?
How do I stream TV, movies, and sports to my wireless devices?
- Computers: Students living in campus housing on the university's wireless network can log into xfinityoncampus.com with his or her W&L username and password. You may need to download an updated version of Adobe Flash Player to stream to your computer (if so, you will be prompted and it will recommend the correct version for your computer). The preferred browser for a Mac is Chrome.
- Mobile devices, including smartphones, tablets: download the XFinity Stream app and follow the directions, entering your W&L username and password when prompted. See https://xfinityoncampus.com/about for details.
This brief video tutorial provides instructions on connecting both computers and mobile devices to the XFinity streaming service.
Can I use wall jacks in my room to access the campus cable service?
Only in the Common areas of the Village apartments, Village townhouses, and Woods Creek apartment suites have the capability to use the wall jack for cable service. For other rooms and residences students living in on-campus housing must use the streaming service described above.
Your television must have a Clear QAM tuner to access cable TV using wall jacks. Most TVs built after 2006 are equipped with Clear QAM tuners. You will also need to provide your own cords to connect to the wall jack. Element TVs will not work on our system.
Troubleshooting for TVs connected to cable jacks:
- Make sure your TV is connected directly to the wall jack
- Check the wire that connects your TV to the wall jack. (You must provide this wire). Make sure this cable is connected properly to both the TV and the wall jack and that the ends of the thin wire inside this cable are not bent
- Next, try programming your TV:
- Activate the MENU settings of your TV set
- Scroll through menu selections until you find a TV/ANTENNA/CABLE setting (or something similar)
- Change this setting to CABLE or CATV
- After setting to CATV, use the AUTO PROGRAM feature to automatically find the channels.
- If you still cannot solve the problem after troubleshooting, request help by emailing email@example.com
How can I play content from my computer onto the communal TVs?
- Many of the TVs have HDMI ports nearby but you will need to have your own HDMI cord. If you have a Mac, additional adapters may be necessary.
- Additionally, the control panel accompanying many of the TVs permits you to use services such as Netflix and Hulu
How do I obtain additional help?
- For all other questions and to arrange training for yourself or your department, contact the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn Library at (540) 458-4357 (HELP) or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org