Step 1. Begin the Hiring Process
Approvals, Job Description and Creating Posting
- Review the Recruitment Protocol for Non-Faculty Positions
This protocol provides the objectives, rationale and procedures for hiring of non-faculty staff. It attempts to ensure that the university can attract an effective and representative labor force as expeditiously as possible. These procedures are designed to support a formal review of vacant positions, consistency to hiring procedures, and fairness to applicants. Please also review the template document as you prepare to post your opening.
- If refilling a current position, review/edit the job description in the PATH. Click the "Approve" button to submit the job description to Jodi Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org, Executive Director of Budgets and Compensation and Sarah Bowers, email@example.com, Recruitment and Compensation Analyst.
- If a new position, use the Job Description Template to create the description and email to Jodi Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org, Executive Director of Budgets and Compensation, to review.
- Simultaneous to the step above, request approval to fill the position by contacting the appropriate vice president or dean. When you have leadership approval, submit the Personnel Action Form (New Position Request or Position Requisition Request) to obtain approval from the Provost and Vice President for Finance/Treasurer. You will be notified via email if the position has been approved. Then you can proceed with the online posting.
- Contact Sierra Gray, Assistant Director for Talent Recruitment, email@example.com, ext. 8623 to discuss posting and advertising the position, search timeline, and managing candidate expectations. She will also provide training on the applicant tracking system, Interfolio.
- Sierra Gray will follow up via email with specific instructions for creating the position in Interfolio at go.wlu.edu/interfolio. This Interfolio Guide for Committee Chairs and Admins will provide helpful tips for navigating the online hiring system. The approved job description will provide the content for the position posting. Submit the job posting in Interfolio for final review and Human Resources approval. All postings remain active on the jobs website for a minimum of five business days.
- Search committees are not required (but recommended) for non-exempt (hourly) positions. Search committees are normally required for exempt positions. Human Resources representatives are available to serve on the search committee.
- It is the hiring managers' responsibility to contact Sierra Gray weekly during the search to provide an update on the status - otherwise candidates will be referred to you for updates.
- Please note, processes will change with the October 2020 adoption of Workday. New training materials will be made available.