Placement Testing for Romance Languages
Italian and Portuguese
If you studied Italian or Portuguese in high school and wish to continue in that language, you will be placed through advising and consultation with the Department of Romance Languages upon arriving on campus in the fall. If you studied French or Spanish in high school and wish to begin the study of Italian or Portuguese, you must take the placement test in the language you studied in high school.
French and Spanish
Note: The purpose of the placement test is to place entering students only. Enrolled students must meet with language faculty to determine placement into 161 or 164.
Incoming students wishing to take the French or Spanish placement test must do so between June 15 - July 31, 2020. Detailed instructions and test access are provided below.
Should you require assistance with testing procedures or should you encounter any difficulty in taking either the French or Spanish test, please contact one ;of the following individuals:
- Mrs. Shirley Richardson (540-458-8821, email@example.com)
- Dr. Dick Kuettner (540-458-8995, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Matthew Bailey (540-458-8160, email@example.com)
Help is available to you between the hours of 9 AM - 4 PM EDT Monday through Friday during the testing period. If at all possible, schedule your testing time in conjunction with the times that assistance is available.
Remember that you are on your honor when you take this on-line placement test. The test must be taken in one sitting (normally about fifteen minutes), and assistance of any kind (books, dictionaries, on-line glossaries, help from others - except the three individuals listed above) is absolutely forbidden. You may take the test only once. More on the Washington and Lee Honor System.
After completing your placement test you receive points, a raw score, which W&L uses to place you into the appropriate level language class. Course recommendations from your test results will be posted to your Self-Service Student Planning account in early August. In your Student Planning 'Test Summary' screen, the placement score posted matches the recommended world language course number. For example, a test summary French score of 161, means that your raw score recommends registration for FREN 161. More information about interpreting your placement scores and registration recommendations can be found at http://www.wlu.edu/university-registrar/policies-and-procedures/placement-results.
Please see the flowchart with registration recommendations for students who wish to complete their language FDR with French, Italian, Portuguese, or Spanish.
Good luck, and we wish you great success as you enter Washington and Lee University.
- Read these instructions in their entirety before you start the placement test. If the instructions are not fully clear to you, feel free to contact one of the three names above prior to taking the test.
- Fill in your information to create an account that will allow you to take the test. If you already have an account, click "I already have an account."
- Log in using your credentials.
- Select your language. Click "Take Test."
- Click "Pre-Test Survey" to complete a survey regarding your background with the language.
- After finishing the survey, click "Submit."
- Now you are ready to take the test. Click "Begin Test."
- Review carefully the instructions provided for each question before reading the question and answer choices.
- When you are done, click "See Score Report."
- A summary of your test score and details of placement will show up.
- Now that you have read and understood the instructions, click here to begin the testing process.
Should you require assistance with testing procedures, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-458-8995 for help.