Veteran's Benefits

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill pays up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition and fees. The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program allows colleges and universities to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed that amount. The dollar amount of the benefit received will depend on the student's enrollment. The VA will issue payment directly to W&L.

Who is Eligible?

Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate may receive Yellow Ribbon funding. You may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months; or
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001; or
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

How to Apply for Yellow Ribbon Benefits?

Washington and Lee provides Yellow Ribbon funding to undergraduate students and law students.  If you intend to use your Yellow Ribbon benefits, please complete the Request for Participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program.   The deadline for completing the Request for Participation form is May 1, 2023.  Requests received after the deadline will not be eligible for the W&L Yellow Ribbon match.

A separate application will need to be submitted to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to determine your eligibility.  If you are eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility indicating you meet the requirements for Yellow Ribbon.  Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, please forward a copy to the Office of Financial Aid.

Law students: If you exhaust your benefits before completing the JD program you must notify the Office of Financial Aid. Please see the W&L Law School Merit Scholarships page for additional details regarding Law scholarships and VA benefits. 

For more details on the program, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Other Veterans Educational Benefits

If you qualify for other veterans educational benefits, please notify our office.  You will need to complete W&L's Veterans Educational Benefits Request Form.  You will also need to initiate the required paperwork with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.