Study Abroad

In general, students who receive financial aid can apply their funding towards a study abroad program. However, the process is not automatic. There are steps the student must take to determine if they will receive aid while studying abroad and to ensure the study abroad institution receives payment.

Receiving Aid for Study Abroad:

  1. Decide on your study abroad program. You must register for your program through the Center for International Education.
  2. Attend the Financial Aid Information Session which is usually held in late October for winter study abroad and in April for fall or full year study abroad.  Bring details on your program including contact information for the program coordinator at your study abroad institution.
  3. The Office of Financial Aid will coordinate with your program contact to obtain cost of attendance information. This information is required for our office to provide you a study abroad financial aid package.
  4. You'll be notified once your study abroad aid package is available online.  Review the study abroad award and contact our office with questions. Your aid will be adjusted to reflect the actual costs of your program, but is capped at the amount of grant or scholarship you would have received on campus for the term..
  5. Complete a Refund Request form with the Business Office. This form will allow for the transfer of your aid from your student account to a private banking account.
  6. Your financial aid is applied to your W&L account. 
  7. Your study abroad credit is transferred to your private banking account. You will use these funds to make payment directly to your study abroad program or institution.  

Additional Information:

  • It is assumed that your account balance is zero at the time study abroad aid is applied. Any outstanding balance against the account will reduce your study abroad credit.
  • You are expected to pay all deposits, complete any deferments, and make all payment arrangements with the study abroad program or institution. Washington and Lee will not make payment directly to the other school.