Environmental Studies Summer Grants

The Environmental Studies Summer Grant program provides funds to support W&L Environmental Studies Majors and Minors who wish to pursue either an unpaid internship or research project over the summer or a paid internship for which travel and housing are not provided, and need assistance with funding to be able to take on the internship or project. The grants are awarded on a competitive basis and can be used to cover travel, living expenses, and other costs associated with the proposed project or summer activity.

Grant applicants must arrange, describe and justify a worthwhile summer project or opportunity. The possibilities are broad and could include (but are not limited to), participation in a national or international conference, research travel to further study in an environmental field, stipend to support an (otherwise) unpaid internship position, or service projects that demonstrate a commitment to environmental sustainability and community leadership.  The criteria for evaluation of applications will include both your academic accomplishments at Washington and Lee and the potential for gaining knowledge and experience in an environmental field.

Grants will vary in amount depending on proposed budgets and the reasonably predicted costs associated with travel, living expenses and other necessary expenditures. Grants will typically range from $1,000 - $3,000. 

Grant applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.  Early applications are best, but applications will be reviewed and considered through the month of April 2023 for summer 2023 internships and research projects.

Reporting:  All grant recipients must submit a final research/work report that should provide an accurate and complete account of all work done on the project. The report should be submitted to Debra Frein at freind@wlu.edu no later than four weeks after the completion of the activity.  Final reports are required for payment of full grant amount (80% of the grant will be paid when the award is initially made; the remaining 20% will be distributed after receipt of the final report).

The Application: The Environmental Studies Summer Grant application process is broken into three sections. Below is a list of all information you will need to complete the process. Please submit all of the information listed below to Debra Frein, Environmental Studies Program Coordinator, at freind@wlu.edu.

1) Applicant Information

Details about you: Name, email address, phone number, year you expect to graduate


Name of W&L Faculty member who can serve as a reference for you


2) Project Information (approximately 1-2 pages)

General project information

Project details and justification

How the project will contribute to your professional/academic goals or development

Organization and contact information if available

Other program/funding sources for which you plan to apply or have already applied


3) Proposed Budget

Projected one-time and weekly costs

Projected income outside of this grant

Total costs for the project