The Office of Career and Professional Development at Washington and Lee University has not vetted any of the internship and volunteer opportunity listings on this page and makes no representations or guarantees regarding any of the listed opportunities. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to do their own due diligence when applying for and accepting any of these opportunities.
The demand for data analysts has been growing every day, and many aspects of data analytics make it a very attractive field. With use of technology, data analytics makes interpreting great amounts of information very efficient. Data analysts are expected to understand not only how to read data, but also how to interpret and present it in a meaningful way. Data analytics is not just for computer science majors. You can apply almost any background to a data analytics role, as it is a field that requires both quantitative and qualitative skills. Data analysis, numerical pattern recognition, and computer/ statistical languages like Stata, SQL, R, Python, Java, and C++, all fall under the quantitative side of data analytics. On the more qualitative side are skills like reasoning, presentation of data skills, and pattern recognition.
Explore careers in data analytics by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment via Handshake with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
General Exploration, Data Analytics Job Boards, and Interview Prep
- What is Big Data vs. Data Science vs. Data Analytics? Learn the difference here.
- General Data Jobs
- Top 5 Job Titles: Business Analyst, Data Analyst, Data Science Architect, Data Science Engineer, Senior Data Analyst
- iCrunchData - Opportunities in Technology and Data
- International Institute of Business Analytics
- KDNuggets - Opportunities in analytics, data mining, and data science
- R-users - Opportunities for people hiring for R users
- Data Analytics
- Top 5 Job Titles: Business Analyst, Advanced Analytics Analyst, Marketing Analytics Analyst, Predictive Modeling Analyst, Analytics and Reporting Analyst
- Analyticsjobs.co.uk - Helpful for exploring job titles and descriptions within analytics
- Bullitin - Opportunities in established and startup companies
- Big Data
- Data Science
- Top 5 Job Titles: Statistician, Statistical Modeler, Principal Statistician, Mathematical Statistician, Statistical Analyst
- Stats Jobs - Jobs for statisticians and data analysts
- Prepare for Data Analytics Interviews
- What Is a Healthcare Data Analyst? - an in-depth description of what healthcare data analysts do and how to become one
- HealthcareITCentral.com - job postings in Healthcare IT; go to 'Job Search' and type in "analytics"
- Top 47 Bigdata Analytics Companies - a list of the leading bigdata analytics consulting companies, along with a quick description of each
- Zippia: The Career Expert - job search for "economic analyst"
- CIA - brief description of "Economic Analysis" and the requirements to become a CIA economic analyst
- Top Jobs for Economics Degree Majors - top 10 jobs for Economics majors, many of which are related to data analytics
Banking and Finance
Many banks are starting to invest resources and funding into programs which will train their workers in AI and utilize employees' skills in data analytics.
- J.P. Morgan Tech Connect Program
- Bank of America Global Technology Program
- Citigroup Technology Leadership Program
- Wells Fargo Jobs related to Data Analytics
- Work In Sports - log in with Facebook or LinkedIn and search jobs in Technology, Software, and Data
- Data Science Graduate Program - search for graduate programs to prepare for a data science career in the sports industry
Advertising, Marketing, Communications
- Marketing Analytics Job Requirements - great overview of marketing analytics
- 20 Big Data Marketing Companies You Should Know - top 20 companies using Big Data for Ad, Mar, Com
Data Analytics Job Boards
- iCrunchData - find jobs in Technology and Data
- Kaggle - Data Science job search
- Stats Jobs - job search for statisticians/ data analysts
- BigData Jobs - Big Data jobs
- R-users - A job board for people hiring for R users
- KDNuggets - jobs in analytics, data mining, and data science
- Analytic Talent - Big Data job search
- Data Elixir - Data Science job search
- Computer Science Department Opportunities
- Creative Technology Cohort
- Data Science and Data Science - Business Analytics minor
- Digital Humanities Department Opportunities
- GenTech - Student organization founded to empower the W&L community through technology
- Summer Research Scholar Program
- Women in Technology and Science (WITS) - WITS provides the women of Washington and Lee an outlet to become involved in the community in a valuable and meaningful way.