Jessica graduated from Washington and Lee with a BS in Biology in 2010 and a love for genetics. While working as Forensic DNA Analyst identifying missing US service members killed in pre-Gulf War conflicts, she obtained her MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences (specializing in Forensic DNA and Serology) from the University of Florida. She left forensics to become a next-generation sequencing (NGS) project coordinator for the National Institutes of Health Intramural Sequencing Center, and also worked as a peer-review associate for the scientific journal PLoS One. She is currently pursuing a PhD in Chemical and Biological Sciences from the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, CA. She has volunteered at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington DC, as a DNA analyst with the Rare Genomics Institute, and as a military spouse career mentor.
Life and Chemical Science
The Office of Career and Professional Development at Washington and Lee University has not vetted any of the internship and volunteer opportunity listings on this page and makes no representations or guarantees regarding any of the listed opportunities. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to do their own due diligence when applying for and accepting any of these opportunities.
Explore careers in the life and chemical science sector by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
Animal and Marine Sciences
- American Veterinary Association - Job board
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- Marine Careers
- World Wildlife Federations
Biotechnology and Biochemistry
- AG careers - Jobs & internships in agriculture, food, and biotechnology
- Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- USDA - Jobs & internships with the Department of Agriculture
- Virginia Biotechnology Assocation - Jobs & internships in bioscience
- American Academy of Forensic Science
- Forensic Internships - 25 cool forensic internship opportunities
Research and Other General Opportunities
- American Association of Medical Colleges - Clinical and research opportunities
- Biocareers - Career Hub for post-graduate life scientists
- American Chemical Society - Explore chemistry careers and jobs
- REU by NSF