Instructions for Grading Online - Spring 2021

Faculty Grading in Self-Service - Spring 2021
Firm deadline for ALL SENIORS – 12:00 noon, Monday, May 24
Deadline for non-senior PE grades - 12:00 noon, Wednesday, May 26
Deadline for remaining non-senior grades - 12:00 noon, Friday, May 28

Grading Window is open on Wednesday, May 19 until 12 noon on Friday, May 28

1. Access the online grading screens.
Log into Self-Service ( using your W&L network username (all lower case) and password (case sensitive) and, in the Faculty group, click on your section for the current term.

2. Choose the Grading tab and click Final Grade

3. Your Final Grading Roster will open and you enter your grades using the drop-down box.

  • Note: There is no ‘submit’ or ‘confirm’ button. As soon as you enter a grade, it is updated.
  • Ignore the ‘Last Date of Attendance’ and ‘Expiration Date’ columns
  • Seniors are flagged with a "YES" grade; you must change the "YES" to a final letter grade using the dropdown grade list. These are due Monday, May 24 by 12:00 noon.

4. Grade confirmation.
Very Important: When you have completed grading, please check the ‘Overview’ page for each of your grade rosters and check to see that all individual grades are listed on the roster. Visually confirming that every grade has been posted is a good idea.

Logout. For safety, be sure to logout of Self-Service. Do not just close the browser window.    

Faculty Grading Policies

Special instructions for PE instructors: 
All PE grades must be submitted by noon on Wednesday, May 26, 2021. Call Neil Cunningham if you have questions (x8056).

Work-in-Progress (WIP) grades: Grades for senior capstone work graded in previous terms as WIP must have the grade change request submitted by May 21, 2021. Use the 'Grade Change Request' at to post these changes. Honors thesis titles should be turned into Ms. Debbie Alden in the UR office by this same deadline.

Incomplete grades: "I (Incomplete) signifies that, due to some cause beyond the student's reasonable control (e.g., illness, injury, incapacitation), the work of the course has not been completed or the final examination has been deferred. The decision to grant an Incomplete should be made no sooner than the last week of the term when it is clear the work of the course cannot be completed." It should not be used to provide extra time or other advantage to one student which is not afforded to all members of a course.

Grades of Incomplete assigned for spring term will be DUE no later than Wednesday, September 29, 2021, unless extended in writing by the student, whether or not they are enrolled as a student.  If unchanged by the instructor, the "I' grade automatically becomes an F.  For any extension, the student must obtain approval from the responsible faculty member on an Incomplete Extension form and submit the form to the University Registrar's Office before the September 29 deadline.  All "I" grades remaining at the end of the subsequent term will automatically become F grades. Faculty submit the new grade using the 'Grade Change Request' link or from Self-Service on the left under Academics (mortar board icon).

Failing (F) Grade: Students who fail to take any final examination shall receive a grade of F in the course unless they are excused for reasons deemed sufficient by the appropriate dean and the instructor concerned.  If they are excused they shall receive an 'I' grade (see above). When grades of F are assigned, if desired, enter one of the following codes representing your best judgment of the reasons for the unsatisfactory work. 

F2   Excessive absences or never came to class 
F4   Neglect of course requirements 
F5   Deficiencies in the writing of English
F6   Failure on tests, the examination, or both
F8   Neglect of laboratory work

Conditional Failure (E) Grade: A grade of E (conditional failure) is assigned only when the student's class average during the term is passing, but the grade on the student's final examination is below passing. The E grade is not applicable to courses taken on the Pass/Fail basis or as a midterm grade. 

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory: S/U grades are only for those courses approved in advance for that grading option. S= C (2.0) or higher, U = C- or lower. 

Pass/Fail: P/F grades are for approved courses only, or if approved for a specific student. Passing grades (D- or better) will convert automatically to Pass.

Changing a Grade: Use Grade Change Request link. You cannot change a grade on the Self-Service grade roster once the grading deadline has passed.

'Never Attended' Check Box: Ignore! Do not use.

'Last Date of Attendance' and 'Expiration Date' columns: Ignore! Do not enter any dates in these fields. 

Registration discrepancies

Student not listed on your roster: If a student attended your class but is not listed on the roster, you may send a grade to We can only accept this information from your Outlook ( email address - not a personal email address. 

Student listed on your roster who never attended your class: If a student is on your roster who you never saw in your class, you still must turn in a grade and the only "acceptable" grade is an F (probably with an F code 2 - excessive absences). The student will see this grade and will need to petition the Faculty EC to request a late drop and revision to their transcript. Entering an Incomplete grade on this student would not be appropriate (see above for when to use an "I" grade). Posting final grades: "No instructor is at liberty to announce the result of any final examination until the end of the examination period except in the case of seniors in their final term; they may be given their grades when they have completed their last examination." 

Additional Assistance? 
For technical help (logging in, error messages, etc.), contact the ITS Information Desk at 540.458.4357 (HELP) or submit a ticket at

For University Registrar office help, email your question to or call the office at 540.458.8455.