Add links to this section for quick reference.Click the "Customize" button in the Quicklinks section below.
At its meeting on Monday, Jan. 11, the W&L faculty passed the following resolution in response to the recent violence in the nation's capital:
Resolved: We cannot stay silent in the face of the events that took place at our nation's capital on January 6, 2021. The actions of the rioters there, instigated by President Trump, struck at the very heart of our nation's democratic processes. The faculty of Washington and Lee University condemns in the strongest manner possible the mob conduct that occurred on January 6. We also condemn in the strongest manner possible the systemic racism that animated those riots, and that was demonstrated in the deeply differentiated law enforcement responses to last week's events at the Capitol and last summer's events at Lafayette Square. These abhorrent occurrences underscore once again that the only way to ensure the health of our nation's institutions is to eliminate the scourge of racism and be unwavering in our commitment to equal justice for all.
The Faculty of Washington and Lee University
Student Org Spotlight
We are debuting a new weekly feature on student organizations who are doing great things on our campus. This week's interview was with Selihom Gobeze, co-chief executive office and co-founder of Diversified Capital Group.
1. Tell us what your organization is all about! Diversified Capital Group is the first minority-owned, student-run investment fund at Washington and Lee University. We seek to close the access gap for talented, minority students interested in learning to invest. After an eight-week education program focused on top-down fundamental analysis, we aim to apply these learned skillsets through an actively managed investment fund.
2. What ongoing and/or annual events do you host for the W&L community? In addition to our weekly education program, we plan on bringing diverse speakers from professional backgrounds to inspire our community. Going forward, we also hope to spread financial literacy education to underserved minority groups in our local community.
3. What are your goals for this year? This year, we hope to successfully complete our eight-week education program with our inaugural analyst class, to receive funding for our investment fund from our school's Board of Trustees, and partner with corporations looking for diverse talent.
4. What legacy does your organization hope to leave for future W&L students? Through our financial education program and the active investment management experience, we hope to see more diverse representation throughout W&L pre-professional societies, in addition to DCG. We ultimately hope to help encourage, build and sustain a culture at W&L of URM students taking advantage of all the opportunities this school has to offer us both on campus and in our respective career pursuits.
5. How can folks get involved? Since we've already completed our competitive application and interview process, students can follow our journey on Instagram and LinkedIn @DiversifiedCapitalGroup and can congratulate members of our inaugural analyst class if you see them around campus because they're an incredible group of students.For alums or individuals working in the financial services industry, if your organization is interested in forming a partnership, please visit www.dcgwlu.com/partnerships to learn more about how your organization can get involved.
Thanks for answering our questions! If your student organization would like to be featured, just email Kelsey Goodwin, Director of Student Activities, at email@example.com.
Keep an eye on the University calendar for upcoming events on campus, follow us @wlustudentactivities to stay informed on upcoming offerings from student organizations, and don't forget to check your email every Sunday evening for our office's weekly newsletter.
If you have suggestions or ideas for student programming, please share them with your class dean or Kelsey Goodwin.
posts by students for students
campus news for alumni, parents, friends, the media and more
speakers and performances
what’s happening on campus today
posts from upper-class students to welcome first-years
check out images of fellow students
academic deadlines and more
tech news, tips, resources and status updates
campus recreation opportunities
promoting inclusion at washington and lee
intramural activity on campus
W&L's leadership development program
Career and Professional Development Office
⚠️ Service Interruption
A nationwide outage is preventing login access to Adobe products. We will update this message once resolved. To the best of our knowledge, all other IT-related services are functioning at full capacity. If you know something we don't, please report the service interruption.