On-Line / Phone Mental Health Support and Therapy
There are now quite a few options for effective on-line or phone mental health support. This type of help may be useful to connect you with a professional therapist when you are away from campus, if you are looking for an app to help with stress management or sleep problems, for peer support if you just need someone to listen, or if you need help right away. Here is a listing of some of the options that are considered to be reputable sources of on-line or phone mental health support. Some of these resources (like the crisis hotlines and peer support options) are free, while others have weekly or monthly fees.
- Talkspace: Affordable, anonymous and virtual connection with a licensed therapist; chat session for screening, then matched with a long-term therapist; can message/respond daily, or schedule a chat with your therapist; weekly plan at the level you need with fee range based on services.
- Betterhelp: Accessible, affordable and convenient counseling; direct access to behavioral health providers; you are matched with a trained, licensed counselor within 24 hours; message, phone or video conference communications; on-line portal; weekly membership fee with a range based on services
- Online-Therapy: Online cognitive-behavioral therapy with trained therapists and support staff; structured CBT program with toolbox, worksheets, activity calendar, messaging, 30 minute weekly live chat; weekly fee
- The MindTrails Project: This research site from UVA, funded in part by the National Institute of Mental Health, allows visitors to practice thinking in new ways, with the goal to shift anxious thinking. Visits take 10-20 minutes, are free and confidential.
- 7 Cups of Tea: Free, anonymous and confidential conversations with trained volunteer listeners; monthly subscription fee to work with a licensed professional
- iPrevail: Peer counseling support for depression and anxiety; connect with trained peer listeners (free) or licensed professionals (monthly subscription fee)
- Insight Timer: Meditation and sleep app, free trial or subscription
- Headspace: Meditation and sleep app, free trial or subscription
- Calm: Meditation and sleep app, free trial or subscription
- Crisis Text Line: Text "Go" or "Start" to 741741. Free, confidential, 24/7 anywhere in the U.S.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Trevor Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386. A crisis intervention and suicide prevention phone service for LGBTQ+ individuals; free, confidential, 24/7 anywhere in the U.S.
- NAMI HelpLine: Monday through Friday, 10 am-6 pm ET, call 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or e-mail email@example.com