On-Line / Phone Mental Health Support and Therapy
There are now quite a few options for effective on-line or phone mental health support. Many health insurance plans provide access to mental health support in this way - please check with your health insurance plan first to see if professional mental health services are available to you through the plan.
This type of help may be useful to connect you with a professional therapist when you are away from campus, if you are looking for an app to help with stress management or sleep problems, for peer support if you just need someone to listen, or if you need help right away.
Here is a listing of some of the options that are considered to be reputable sources of on-line or phone mental health support. Some of these resources (like the crisis hotlines and peer support options) are free, while others have weekly or monthly fees.
Please note that the online therapy services listed here are independent entities, and are not endorsed or provided by Washington and Lee University. We cannot attest to the professional skills of the therapists employed, but list these as an option for students who prefer to seek treatment through resources outside of W&L Student Health and Counseling services. While the services listed are broadly considered as reliable in vetting their clinicians, if you have questions you should ask the clinician about their training and experience, and you can verify their licensure on the Virginia Department of Health Professions website using the "license lookup" feature (or another state licensure board if you are living outside of Virginia).
- HealthiestYou by Teladoc (app or 855-870-5858): UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR) has partnered with Teladoc to provide access to doctors and mental healthcare services from anywhere you are, even while traveling internationally. All services are free for students covered under the W&L sponsored UHCSR student health insurance plan; services are available to all other W&L students for a per-session fee. Therapist, Psychiatry and Medical services are available by phone or video.
- Talkspace: Affordable, anonymous and virtual connection with a licensed therapist; chat session for screening, then matched with a long-term therapist; can message/respond daily, or schedule a chat with your therapist; weekly plan at the level you need with fee range based on services.
- Betterhelp: Accessible, affordable and convenient counseling; direct access to behavioral health providers; you are matched with a trained, licensed counselor within 24 hours; message, phone or video conference communications; on-line portal; weekly membership fee with a range based on services
- Online-Therapy: Online cognitive-behavioral therapy with trained therapists and support staff; structured CBT program with toolbox, worksheets, activity calendar, messaging, 30 minute weekly live chat; weekly fee
- The MindTrails Project: This research site from UVA, funded in part by the National Institute of Mental Health, allows visitors to practice thinking in new ways, with the goal to shift anxious thinking. Visits take 10-20 minutes, are free and confidential.
- 7 Cups of Tea: Free, anonymous and confidential conversations with trained volunteer listeners; monthly subscription fee to work with a licensed professional
- iPrevail: Peer counseling support for depression and anxiety; connect with trained peer listeners (free) or licensed professionals (monthly subscription fee)
- Insight Timer: Meditation and sleep app, free trial or subscription
- Headspace: Meditation and sleep app, free trial or subscription
- Calm: Meditation and sleep app, free trial or subscription
- Crisis Text Line: Text "Go" or "Start" to 741741. Free, confidential, 24/7 anywhere in the U.S.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Trevor Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386. A crisis intervention and suicide prevention phone service for LGBTQ+ individuals; free, confidential, 24/7 anywhere in the U.S.
- NAMI HelpLine: Monday through Friday, 10 am-6 pm ET, call 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or e-mail email@example.com