Unbreakable 2021 Senior Theses Exhibition
Selections from the Senior Theses Exhibition 2019
- Missy Barro
- Emma Coleman
- Gabriela Gomez-Misserian
- Liza Moore
- Mary Stephen Straske
- Reggie Zhao
In the Gallery
March 29 - April 9, 2021
Virtual Zoom Reception
Click HERE to view the recorded artists' talk.
About The Exhibition
Each spring, Staniar Gallery showcases work by the Art Department’s graduating studio majors in an exhibition that is the culmination of a year-long thesis project. During that year, the students develop a body of work and prepare it for exhibition in a profession gallery setting. This year’s show features a variety of media by six artists. Missy Barro's mixed-media pieces explore the resilience of the natural world adapting to human presence. In her photographic collages, Emma Coleman examines her family's long history in the Rockbridge region, reflecting on the connections between the past and the present. Water is the central theme of Gabriela Gomez-Misserian's series of works on paper entitled Current, in which she draws from her extensive sketchbook studies made in Goshen Pass Liza Moore's studio practice revolves around systems of labor-intensive tasks, such as creating a large latch-hook rug that draws visual inspiration from organic forms. Mary Stephen Straske uses the medium of printmaking to create wallpaper reflecting the beauty of the natural world while embracing the variations that are inevitable in the print process. Reggie Zhao will exhibit sculptural works that are a creative investigation of what she calls the "ontology of materials", such as cardboard and bamboo tissue.
Click HERE to view the virtual tour.
Virtual Tour navigation:
- Select a wall to explore.
- Click and drag the image to pan around the room.
- Hover over and click on each piece for a closer view and more information.
- These views and the label windows can be closed by clicking the X in the upper right corner.
- Some artworks have multiple details presented in a slideshow format, which can be advanced using the arrows on either side of the pop-up window.
- To read the artist's statement, click the "label" on the wall at the start of each project.